ii

CHAPTER TWO 

─── the first encounter

IT'S BEEN A FEW LONG hours since the discovery of the new Fallen creatures and you weren't any closer to finding Cayde, or Petra

IT'S BEEN A FEW LONG hours since the discovery of the new Fallen creatures and you weren't any closer to finding Cayde, or Petra. The only thing you've found following the trail (G/n) set up for you was endless flames and rubble which created a ton of smoke. In all honesty, you felt like you were going insane from inhaling the toxic smog all this time; there's only so much even a Guardian can handle. Especially when it seems to cloud your senses.

Luckily, (G/n) kept you sane by keeping a conversation going, stimulating your mind despite the fact your internal organs were slowly failing. But that didn't bother you really. He could always resurrect you, and you'd be gifted with a fresh pair of lungs free of charge.

In a flash of dazzling light, your robotic friend appeared. Meeting your surprised gaze with his thoughtful one. Your hands stiffened on your gun and held it high, making sure there were no beasts in the meantime. Once getting the all-clear, you forced your shoulders to relax. It was something else, seeing him out in the open during a mission, and boy did that make you on edge. He was too precious to you, and you don't know what you'd do if ever you lost him—not the part of being healed or resurrected—but in general, the thought of losing someone dear to you made your heart feel like it'd stop beating.

"(Y/n), I was thinking about something," Your Ghost started, waiting to see if you were paying close attention.

"You were? I knew I smelt something burning."

(G/n) chuckled at your playful jest, but his shell sagged as if he had something important weighing on his shoulders—geometric casing in his case. "The Fallen didn't just become this. Someone did this to them."

"You mean somebody created a new enemy faction? Not possible."

"Yet it happened. Somebody or something found a way to bring back dead Fallen."

"Bring back dead fallen?" you mumbled to yourself, pondering on the likelihood of that. "How would somebody get that ability in the first place?"

"How does a robot get the ability to heal and resurrect chosen guardians?" (G/n) reminded you still floating above your shoulder.

"That makes sense, sure. But it still doesn't add up," You said, still in denial. You couldn't wrap your mind around the idea of resurrecting Fallen as if they were guardians. Did the Traveller gift that ability? If it did, why in the universe would it grant it to someone who would make undead Fallen?

"Perhaps they were created in... darkness?"

A look of uncertainty flashed in your eyes at that very thought. "If that's the case then we need to find our lost fireteam, fast."

His porcelain white shell bobbed, mimicking curt nod and whisked in a cloud of light; becoming one with your light again. Instantly a wave of relief washed over you, basking you in a calmness that collected once you knew (G/n) was safe from harm.