xl

FOREWORD | I'm still alive. It took me a while to get this chapter out, I apologize. I've been crazy busy the past months. between work and life things, I barely have time to sit and write. And today, we had to put down our cat today... he was only 2 years old and it's his birthday tomorrow. I can't stop crying aha (laughing through the pain). So bare with me if there's any grammar/spelling mistakes. Anyways, hope you're all doing well and enjoy the new chapter!

CHAPTER FORTY

─── regrets

THE AIR IN THE room grew thick with tension at the mention of his name

The Drifter.

At this moment, your body screamed to make a run for it. Turn away and not look back. But, you knew better than to be a coward. This was the only option and lately, hard choices were all you had. Spider was taking advantage of your desperate situation, knowing all too well you'd agree to do anything.

"Consider it done," you said. Your calm stature masked the turmoil plaguing your mind. "On one condition." You nodded to Uldren. "He can stay in your hideout while I'm away."

Uldren's protests were drowned out by Spider's hearty laugh.

"It's a deal. The little bird will be under my..." he waved his arm in a dramatic swoop to rest on his chest, motioning to himself. Almost knight-like.  "...protection."

"(Y/n)." Uldren  grabbed your wrist gently. "You're not going alone."

You stifled a smile. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. I'll be back in no time."

Uldren's eyes narrowed, a doubtful look crossing his features.

"Seriously," you said softly. "I've got this. It's better if only one goes in, makes it a lot easier to sneak around."

He let out a sigh, releasing your wrist. "If that's what you wish."

"In and out. That's how fast it'll be." You raised your hand to caress his jaw but jerked your hand away when you realized Spider was still observing your little exchange.

Uldren gave you a small smile, seeming uneasy.

You shared his unease. Drifter was the last person you wanted to see.

"It's a deal then." Spider let out insect-like clicks. "I'll keep your... friend here some company. Seems like I missed a chapter or two."

Spider's many eyes raked over you and Uldren. You wondered if he hinted at the new companionship. To be fair, the last time Spider heard you speak about the Prince of the Reef was when you were out for blood. His blood.

"Then it's settled." You swallowed the bile rising, refusing to show how unsettled you were. Truthfully, you longed to have Uldren by your side throughout this operation. But, you knew better. It was too risky. Besides, you were walking on thin ice with the Drifter. "I best be off."