xi

CHAPTER ELEVEN 

─── dead man walking

THE NIGHT HAD FALLEN and shadows covered your surroundings

THE NIGHT HAD FALLEN and shadows covered your surroundings. All the stars in the sky were chased away by the thick clouds that loomed overhead, bringing a light mist over the Tower. 

It's been a couple of months since the whole Uldren ordeal. Everyone believed the lies that you told and nobody suspected a thing. At the start, guilt weighed heavy on your shoulders. People thanked you for slaying the criminal, saying Cayde-6 would be proud—that really affected you—but the guilt became barely noticeable as you got accustomed to it. The lies rolled off your tongue effortlessly now. 

The only person who you told was the Drifter. Well, he found out on his own. 

He claimed he sensed something different about you and kept prying, meddling in affairs he shouldn't bother with. So, you spilled it all. Some could say this had brought you two closer. Perhaps the fact you both shared common grounds, experimenting with Darkness on the sidelines, strengthened your bond. 

You ducked underneath the metal screen that dipped low, leading into the Drifters makeshift space. The vending machine let off a warm yellow glow. He was shuffling through scraps that were scattered across a white table. 

"Hey, Drifter," You greeted him. 

He turned to you, raising his hands. "Now look who it is. My favorite Dredgen. How you doing?" 

"Could be doing better, I guess." You shrugged lightly. The truth is you were exhausted. You've been doing Gambit nonstop lately, (G/n) kept insisting you took a break but you shut him down. You couldn't remember the last time you had a good sleep. You handed him a handful of completed bounties, ready to cash in. 

A smirk made its way to his lips as he took them from you. "Woah, look what we got here. You never stop grinding do you, sister?"

You chuckled, resting a hand on your hip. "No, not really."

The Drifter kept the conversation going for a while as he gathered your rewards. You guys talked about things like the progress of his Gambit, how your newly acquired malfeasance gun is performing, and what were the latest rumors surfacing throughout the Tower. You both had become well acquainted over the past few months. In all honesty, he was the only person you could consider something remotely close to a friend.

"Like always, it was nice chatting with you," You said, sliding off the table you were sitting on. 

Drifter smiled, watching you. "You should visit more often, (Y/n)."

"I already come here every day." You took the brown bag your rewards were in.

"Well, that ain't enough. Old Drifter gets lonely these days."