xxxv

FOREWORD | It's been a while aaa. I apologize again for the time it took me to update this book :c been caught up in life, you know all that fun stuff. But on another note, thank you all for 15k reads! hope you've all been doing well! 

CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE 

─── unmasking the spy

THE DIMLY LIT FIRE cracked, burning the last bit of wood

THE DIMLY LIT FIRE cracked, burning the last bit of wood. Various pieces of ash were carried in the wind, disappearing into the evening sky. You put your can of soup down, appetite gone.

"How shall we go about this?" Uldren kept his voice low.

You shook your head. "There's no we, you're heading back to the hideout."

Uldren's brows drew together. "I'm not leaving your side. I can assist you."

"You can't," you hushed. "There's a good chance they're after you, it's better you stay hidden. Head to the hideout and I'll take care of this mess."

"I'm afraid I won't be doing that. You're in this predicament because of me."

"Uldren, don't be stubborn."

"I will help you, and that's final. I refuse to hide like a coward, twiddling my thumbs as you're out here mending my mistakes."

You drew in a deep breath. "Guess I don't have much of a choice."

"Excellent." He gave you a satisfied smile. "Now, where do we begin?"

You grabbed a stick from the floor, poking at the dying fire, ash burst as the logs shifted. Although your head remained stiff, angled towards the fire, your gaze rested on the intruder. You paid attention to his whereabouts at all times.

"Pull on your hood, but don't act suspicious." You instructed Uldren.

He gave you a curt nod and slipped his hood on. "It's quite cold out tonight." his voice was no longer quiet, he meant to be heard.

"That's for sure." You forced out a chuckle, still prodding at the flames.

There you both sat, contributing to idle conversation. You made sure to use Uldren's alias: Xander. Minutes had stretched into hours and still no movement from the intruder. You anticipated the spy to leave, however, they never abandoned their post. There they remained, observing you for the last while.

Night had fallen and stars littered the sky above. The gentle glow of the fire faded and only the embers remained.

"(G/n), is he still there?" you whispered.

You called your Ghost out an hour ago once the sky darkened. The shadows were too harsh to make out the intruder's silhouette. So, you had him subtly scan the area every now and then to find the spy's whereabouts.