iii

CHAPTER THREE 

─── the last goodbye

THE FORMER PRINCE LET out a low chuckle, sending a flurry of rage to prosper within you

THE FORMER PRINCE LET out a low chuckle, sending a flurry of rage to prosper within you. Behind him the barons stood tall, staring at you with menacing eyes; just as crazed as the undead Fallen. Every single one had the same deranged look, even Uldren.

Whatever was going on here, (G/n) was right. This was not just a regular prison break—riot in this case—there was something else.

A familiar shift in mechanics filled the room, and each end of the door inched together. The door was starting to close. Uldren gave one final smug look before turning away.

"You bastard!" You raised your hand cannon in a panic, shooting an unaimed bullet with no sense of accuracy. It missed by a long shot.

The doors had closed shut, sealing the escapees on the other side. Merely leaving Uldren's yellow eyes but a stained memory.

Without giving it a second thought, you ran to the Exo laying in a pool of his own blood, tossing your gun aside. You knelt beside him, looking frantically at his bullet wound.

"How's... How's my hair?" He feebly gestured to his head. He tried to laugh, but his body shook from the sharp coughs that had a grip on him. He was in a tremendous amount of pain. You could see it in the way his eyes dulled each time he coughed.

You took off your helmet, your (h/c) hair felt stuck to your face from the ample amount of sweat. Frankly, you didn't care how you looked. You just wanted to see him—see him face to face—without cowering behind a bulky helmet and hood.

"It's okay Cayde, I'll get you help. I'll bring you to the Tower, and they'll help you." You took off your cape, bunching it up and pressing it on the wound.

You tried to look calm and collected, but you were so far away from being that. In fact, it was the exact opposite. You didn't know what you were doing, it was the Ghost's job to heal wounds. But his Ghost was dead! You were nothing compared to them. You aren't experienced in tending to wounds. Oh, traveler help me.

"Typical, (Y/n). Always trying to help everybody." The hunter vanguard heaved. He placed a hand on both of yours which were already pressing down the cape on his wound. The Scarlet pool of blood seemed never-ending as it soaked into the cloak. "But sometimes... sometimes kid, you can't."

Your eyes stung with fresh tears, you shook your head. "(G/n), can you help him?"

(G/n) appeared in a whirl of blue light above your blood-stained hand. "I'll try."

Your Ghost hovered over to him. Rays of blue appeared from his orb, scanning his battered body, and his casing shifted. Every part of Cayde was beaten, dented, and scratched to the point where you could see the silver under his metallic skin. You didn't have a clue to how he'll bounce back after this—or if he would even. But that's not something you ever wanted to consider. Not in a million years.