ix

CHAPTER NINE 

─── riven

ULDREN'S CRIES OF AGONY were silenced upon leaving the realm

ULDREN'S CRIES OF AGONY were silenced upon leaving the realm. Stillness draped over the room but you could still hear his screams in your mind. He was screaming in sheer terror. Was he already dead? Something bigger is going on here. You could feel it in your bones. 

You wiggled your strained fingers, you had been subconsciously squeezing the grip of your gun. You released some tension from your hands, keeping your gun aimed and ready. 

Bizarre noises filled the hall, it was coming from the room ahead. It sounded like a low grumbling or hissing. You made your way towards the sounds. The corridor opened to a vast room and in the middle was a creature hovering. A huge beast. You dashed for the nearest cover which was a large pillar. You peeked past your cover, still undetected. 

This thing was like nothing you've seen before. The serpentine beast had white tentacles all over its rounded body—was that even a body?—and had many eyes darted about. It looked appalling. 

You inhaled deeply, readying for another battle. Sure, you've fought many enemies big and small before. Oryx, Crota, Ghaul. But this time felt worse, you had been anticipating this for such a long time. You had to get this right. That is if the former prince is still alive. You couldn't help but wonder if this thing killed Uldren. 

You stepped out of cover, holding your weapon high. The beast turned its attention solely on you, hovering your way. 

"You're going to regret ever crossing into the Dreaming City," You said, pulling the trigger releasing a round of bullets. 

When you had to reload, the beast shot a violet projection from its mouth. Catching you off guard. You dodged to avoid its attack as many more followed. The last one struck you, pushing you into the nearest wall from impact. You blinked away the stars blotting out your vision as a searing pain settled on your leg. 

The creature had summoned Taken to its aid with black matter, looking much like the apertures. Two balls of Taken energy had also appeared tethering the large floating beast. It created a shield over it, becoming immune to your attacks. As you shot the ball that had it tethered in attempts to disable the shield, taken Pison's crowded around you. You were getting shot in all directions. 

In a flash of white, the ball popped, vanishing from sight. One down, another to go then the shield will be down. 

You grunted in pain as they kept shooting you with their Taken fused attacks. You skidded for cover, hiding behind a pillar once more. You pressed your back against the hard surface, you held your gun close to your chest. You bit down hard, awaiting your Ghost's healing to help you recover. Your body ached from getting shot so many times. The pain ebbed away as he healed you. 

"Sister!" Uldrens scream came from within the beast. 

Your breath hitched. 

"Help!" 

He had been swallowed whole. Uldren wasn't dead, yet. You were sure if he stayed in the beast's stomach he'd die sooner or later. A thought slipped into your mind. You could allow this beast to live and let Uldren be devoured by this serpentine creature. You felt guilt arise. If the beast would live it would definitely destroy the City. Leaving Uldren to be consumed by this enemy wasn't an option. Besides, you wanted to deal the killing blow yourself. 

From your cover, you noticed the other taken orb in the air. You swapped to your pulse rife and shot the ball of matter. It popped and whisked away in a white flash. The shield deactivated. 

You had repeated the same pattern many times now. Shoot the creature, kill Taken backup and shoot balls of matter. It had brought you occasionally to the ascendant plane forcing you to kill a stronger enemy in order to go back to your own realm. It had become tedious, but you were sure the beast was almost finished.

Its movements have become sluggish and its attacks sloppy. Its life must be hanging by a thread now. Lucky for you a surge solar power flourished within you. You had changed from void energy to solar energy when you went to IO and can finally use your new ability. 

Flames crept onto your armor, and you leaped into the air until you were a little above the beastly looking thing. Six flaming blades made from solar energy formed in your grasp. In a swift movement, you turned, throwing them in the meantime.

Your fiery knives dealt a great deal of damage on your enemy, making it screech in anguish. A great gust of wind surrounded the creature, engulfing it. Its tentacles flailed as it spit something out—no, not something—someone. It was Uldren. A blinding white light emitted from the dying creature, you shielded your eyes as it vanished in a blinding flash of white. 

The strong winds had pushed down your cape, revealing your messy (h/c) locks. Your eyes darted around the room. It had disappeared from sight. Did it escape? How could that be? Somehow it managed to leave before its life diminished completely. You sighed, you'd have to deal with that affair another time. Now, you had to carry out your objective. To kill Uldren Sov. 

Your heart pounded wildly in your chest. You walked towards Uldren who laid on the floor breathing heavily. He looked in horrible condition. You were a little disappointed that he couldn't put up a fight but that didn't change the fact of how you felt. You were going to kill him either way. 

A certain hand cannon laid on the floor not far away from the beaten prince. It was Cayde gun, the Ace of Spades. Your throat tightened. You picked up the Ace and continued towards him. (G/n) materialized over your shoulder, not daring to speak. Uldren struggled to sit up as you towered over him, he failed miserably.

Uldren let out a low chuckle as he turned to lay on his back. Your blood turned to ice as you met his glowing eyes. His expression was unreadable. 

You raised the Ace, aligning it with his head. Your hand shook slightly. 

He pushed himself up, placing his hands behind his back. "Congratulations. You have my undivided attention." 

You bit down hard, drawing blood from your cheeks. The sticky copper taste filled your mouth. Your breath came in short spurts and your heart raced. It was him. He killed Cayde. You tried desperately to keep your emotions in check. 

"Now," Uldren looked around, taking in a sharp breath. "Where's my sister?"

You noticed that the black caressing his face structure was gone, the same goes with his eyes. Despite the grit smeared on his skin, it was rid of the dark shadows. 

A new pair of footsteps approached, you turned to see Petra Venj coming. Her pistol raised. Oh, so now she shows. Where was she when you were fighting the beast? Probably cowering in the shadows, watching you fight and risk your life. It was a dark zone, you could've easily died as well. 

"She's not here Uldren. And if she was... this would be a whole lot easier," Petra said. 

Uldrens eyes flashed momentarily, he looked genuinely perplexed before slouching back. He let out a sigh. "So, this is to be a reckoning."

You finally managed to speak, your expression hard. "So it is."

▬▬▬▬▬©𝙊𝘿𝙔𝙎𝙎𝙀𝙔𝙓𝙑𝙄𝙄