i

CHAPTER ONE 

─── prison riot

A RUSH OF ENERGY pooled into your ever so battered body

A RUSH OF ENERGY pooled into your ever so battered body. You could feel the light as it traversed throughout your veins, regenerating your limp corpse to its prior state. In a jolt you spluttered, shooting forwards into a sitting position as you took a shaky breath, breathing in a foul smell of smoke.

"Hey, (Y/n), welcome back. We fell at least 20 stories down, and I can't reach Cayde. Or Petra." (G/n) explained which caused a flurry of memories to flash inside your mind like a projector, reminding you why you were in what seemed to be left of the wretched Prison of Elders.

"You sure you can't reach them?" you asked standing to your feet, stretching your newly replenished body.

"I can try again. But there's no response on either end."

You avoided some rubble as you trotted over to a wired fence, resting a hand on the seared surface. It was the only thing separating you and the gaping hole that appeared to swallow each of the debris that fell from who knows where. It was a grave amount of damage which was bustling with fire. No wonder your companion sounded worried.

"You sure it's not just the comms? Something could be interfering with it." You finally said, assured Cayde and Petra were fine per usual.

"Maybe," he replied sounding unconvinced.

"Come on, (G/n)." You faced him; your voice projected the smile you wore underneath the helmet and hood. "Lighten up. They both know what they're doing even more than me. And if I'm alive — well there's no doubt in mind they are too."

He tipped his shell sideways, looking at you sheepishly. "That makes sense since you're much more reckless than the two of them combined for Traveler's sake!"

While you laughed spurts of coughs crept in due to the congested air, creating a combination of laughing, and coughing; you pushed your Ghost humorously.

"Very funny." Your laughter eased into a more serious tone. "You think you can pinpoint their locations?"

"I'll try." (G/n)'s blue orb shone a dazzlingly blue light as his diamond casing shifted, scanning the area. "There's a faint signal of Sundance, Cayde's Ghost. But no sign of Petra."

"Alright. I'll meet up with Cayde, then we'll go check for Petra," you concluded, mentally mapping out your plan.

"Okay, guardian. Uploading coordinates now."

A wave of relief washed over you, making you at ease that it was Cayde he had located first. There was no beef between you and Petra Venj, in fact, you didn't mind having her as company, but just knowing Cayde was safe quenched the raging fire of worry that flourished inside you. You don't know what you would do without the Hunter Vanguard regardless of whether you seem to or not — he kept you in line — correcting the wrongs you do before they develop into something beyond your control.