xvii

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN 

─── lending a hand

YOU AND ULDREN HID behind a crate and some rubble, crouching only inches apart

YOU AND ULDREN HID behind a crate and some rubble, crouching only inches apart. The Servitor hovered not far away; the drones circling around the shimmering shield.

"We need to take out the drones first, that'll disable the shield," You said, keeping your voice low so you weren't detected. 

Uldren gave a curt nod in understanding. He checked to make sure his pulse rifle was loaded and ready, looking back to the Fallen. 

It had just now dawned on you that Uldren might leave this fight wounded and bruised while you would leave unscathed. You never feared death nor permanent injuries. No, you weren't in no Darkness Zone. This fight is just another day in the life of a Guardian, but for Uldren he would always be fighting with his life on the line. You felt respect well inside you—and envy. 

You pushed aside your feelings and stood up, Malfeasance at hand. "Okay, you ready?"

Uldren stood with you, casting you a side glance. "Of course I am."

This had caught the Saboteur's attention as it snapped its singular glowing eye towards you both, shining a harsh purple. Its black spherical casing turned as it shot a projectile your way, the same color as its eye. You and Uldren both dodged out of the way. It hit the ground with a bang, as many more attacks followed. 

You aimed your gun—while steering clear of its attacks—at a drone, the hand cannon recoiled as it released bullets one after another. The flying device exploded, small shards of metal flying into the air. Uldren stood beside you taking out another drone, his bullets going out in a burst of four. 

When another brilliantly lit projectile was fired your way Uldren leaped out of the way, dodging it. You on the other hand were busy shooting the last of the drones, so you let it land a hit, too focused to move. You were pushed back slightly, your feet scraping on the floor. You shot another round before the last drone burst in a flash of light. 

Yes, taking the hit hurt. You even had to clench down from the pain, but you knew the sensation would be gone soon. (G/n) would heal your inflictions in no time so taking one hit didn't bother you if it got the job done quicker. 

The Forge Saboetur's shield vanished, leaving it vulnerable to your attacks once again. You looked to Uldren who was watching you.

A wave of energy washed over you as your Ghost's healing Light filled your veins. "What?"

"How convenient it is to be a Guardian, don't you think?" He pointed out mockingly. 

You scoffed, turning away. You already hated the fact you felt dependent on your Light, it wasn't something you could just turn off as you pleased... as much as you wanted to at times.