Part 40

**

After Harry went upstairs, I heard our door slam. I sighed, shoving both my hands through my hair and leaning against the wall behind me, trying to get air into my lungs.. "You're fine. You're fine. It'll be fine." I whispered to myself, forcing myself off the wall before the headache could form behind my eyes..

I went into the dining area, picking up the gun and going into the kitchen. I climbed onto the counter, tucking it into the back corner at the top of one of the cabinets, where no children could possibly reach it.. I went back out into the common area, grabbing my laptop and turning it back on. I'd decided to finish the project, and then go to bed. That way Harry would be knocked out by the time I got up there....

****

The next morning, I woke up to knocking on the front door, and groaned, rolling over. I instantly fell off the couch, holding my head after it hit the ground. "Fucking hell." I muttered, slowly sitting up, squinting through the sunlight that was coming through the windows..

The loud knocking came again, and I stood up, shoving my hands through my hair and walking over. I checked the peep-hole, before opening the door. "Finally.. Is she up yet?" The woman asked. It took me a few seconds to register who she was and what she was doing here, before I realized this was Jasmine's mom.

"Right.. Um, I'm not sure. I actually just got up myself." I replied, inviting her inside and closing the door back behind her..

"I'll go get her up. You can help yourself to tea if you'd like. The kettle is on the stove." I commented, going upstairs.. I went down the hall, and knocked on Grace's door before opening it.

Her and Jasmine were lying on the floor, each with a coloring book in front of them. "Mum, we're in the middle of a contest." She said, still coloring her page as fast as possible. "Right. Well, Jasmine, you're mom is here." I replied. "Okay. Can you please tell her I'm coloring this, and then I'll be right down." She commented, and I nodded, walking out of the room. I ran right into Harry, who was coming down the other set of stairs that led to our room. "Morning." He said, giving me a quick kiss before going downstairs..

I stood there for a few seconds, extremely confused.. Did he not remember our huge argument from last night? I mean hell, I literally slept on the couch, and he's acting like it's a normal day?

I followed him downstairs after using the restroom, and saw him talking to Jasmine's mom. He shoved one of his hands through his hair, glancing over in my direction. He was asking me why I didn't warn him that she was down here.. He wasn't wearing a shirt, and only had on a pair of joggers.

"Sorry, the girls are up but they're having a coloring contest. They'll be down in a few minutes. Harry, can I speak with you in the kitchen?" I asked, sending him a look. He looked at me, seemingly confused, before walking into the kitchen. "We'll just be a moment." I said, following Harry..

He was making tea, and glanced over at me when I walked in. "What'd you want to talk about?" He asked. "Um, last night?" I replied like it was obvious, which it should've been.. He paused, looking at his tea, before nervously glancing over at me. "Um. Last night?" He asked, and I nodded.. He cleared his throat, avoiding eye contact with me.

"Do you remember or not?" I questioned, and he sighed. "Listen, I, um.. I'm sorry." He commented, setting his cup down. "What are you sorry for?" I asked, motioning for him to elaborate. He sighed. "Um.. Can we not talk about this with her here? Can it wait?" He asked quietly, and I ran a hand through my hair, glancing over my shoulder. "Fine." I muttered, walking back out. "Girls, let's go!" I shouted up the stairs, and heard running footsteps a moment later..

Grace and Jasmine both came running down the stairs, and she ran over to her mom, hugging her. "So, who won the coloring contest?" She asked. "Grace. But it was close." Jasmine replied. "I bet it was. Alright. Do you have everything?" She asked, and Jasmine nodded.

"Thank you guys for having her over." She commented. "Yeah no problem." I said, glancing over at Harry as he walked out of the kitchen. She looked at him for a few seconds, before leaving..

As soon as the door shut, Harry turned to face me. "Listen, I don't know how you found out. I didn't see any pictures when I woke up this morning. But, I'm sorry. Ok? It won't happen again, I promise." He said, and I looked at him, raising my eyebrows. I had no idea what he was talking about, but knew if I didn't say anything, he would elaborate.. He looked at me for a few seconds. "Grace, could you give your mum and I a moment?" He asked, and she went back upstairs without any questions. I'm not sure why he even bothers sending her upstairs. She eavesdrops on us anyway.. I know she does. She's my daughter..

He shoved his hands through his hair, turning and pacing across the room. "Brynn, she came out of nowhere, ok? She kissed me, not the other way around, I swear. It meant nothing, truly. I wouldn't do that to you. And yes, I was drunk, so, I went along with it. But it really meant nothing." He explained, and I sighed, sitting down on the couch.

I put my head in my hands. "Harry." I said, and he remained where he was. "What?" He asked.. "That wasn't what I wanted to talk to you about." I replied quietly. "What do you mean?" He questioned, confused. "I had no idea all that even happened. I mean.. Wow." I muttered the last part, shoving my hands through my hair.

"I'm sorry, Brynn. I really am." He commented, walking over and sitting next to me. I stood up, moving away from him again. "And, what? You just weren't going to tell me? You acted like everything was fine this morning." I said, and he sighed. "I know.. I know. I'm sorry. I just.. I didn't know how to tell you.. But, you said you wanted to talk to me. I figured you knew. What were you talking about, if you weren't talking about that?" He asked.

I sighed, looking at him. "Last night, you came home and started arguing with me about how I apparently don't care about our daughter." I stated, and he looked at me, obviously not remembering our fight..

"I-um. I.. Don't remember that. Damn it.." He muttered. "Yeah. You remember making out with some other woman, but you don't remember picking a bullshit fight with me." I commented, moving to go upstairs. He quickly stood up, coming after me and grabbing my arm as I reached the bottom of the stairs.. "Brynn. Don't. Just.. I'm sorry. I got too drunk last night. And, I don't remember what I said to you, but I'm sure I didn't mean it." He said.

I scoffed. "That's just the thing, Harry.. I think you did mean it."