Part 2

I clicked on the second audio-recording file, having to wait a few seconds for it to load.. I could feel the adrenaline rushing through my veins, and shoved my hands through my hair.

<> <>

A ringing sound played through the speakers, like someone was calling someone..

"Who is this?" Brynn's voice came through the speaker, and I shut my eyes, trying to picture her.. "It's me. Listen, I just got released. I'm coming to find you." Ryan said.. It was a phone call between the two of them, and I wondered when it was.

"You got released." Brynn said, her tone revealing that she was disappointed, along with slightly worried.. "I did. This morning. Where are you?" He asked. "I don't want to see you, Ryan." She commented.

He laughed. "Darling, you know that isn't optional. Besides, if you don't tell me where you are, I'll go find Harry and tell him the truth." He stated. I paused the recording, and called Jeff..

He picked up. Before I could ask him what I was going to, he started talking. "Hey, I was actually just going to call you. I'm sending some extra guys to your place, just to bump up your security a bit." He explained. "Why?" I asked, confused.

"You remember that guy that Brynn dated? The violent one who went to jail after she died?" He asked. "Yeah. Ryan." I commented. "Right. Well, he was released just this morning, and I'm not sure if he's holding any grudges against you. But just to be safe, I wanted to make sure you had plenty of security at your house." He explained. In that moment, it felt like my heart had stopped beating..

I cleared my throat, having to remind myself to breathe. "This morning? He was released this morning?" I asked, realizing that this second recording had taken place just a few hours ago.. She was alive. She was really alive...

"Yes. Now, what'd you call me about?" He questioned. I could barely breathe. "Nothing. I've gotta go." I said, hanging up and hitting play on the recording..

<> <>

"You wouldn't tell him the truth.. Because then you know you wouldn't have me to yourself, which is what you really want. Leave him out of this." Brynn said.. "Ok. So, how 'bout I go get your daughter from her grandmother's house? You know, she's five now. She might understand the things I tell her." Ryan commented, panic running through my veins. How did he know where Grace was?

"Don't you dare.. I swear if you lay a finger on her, you'll regret it for the rest of your life, which won't be very long because I'll kill you if you hurt her." Brynn stated, confusing me.. I was surprised she even cared at all about Grace. Especially considering she'd faked her death just to get out of being a mother...

Ryan laughed. "She looks like you, you know? She's got your eyes." He said. "Leave her alone." Brynn commented..

"Too late." Ryan replied, and then the recording cut out. I quickly stood up, grabbing my keys and my phone and rushing out the front door.

On the way to my mum's place, I called her. She didn't answer, which led to me calling her eight more times before she finally picked up. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." She said immediately, her tone frantic. "Mum, what happened? Is Grace ok?" I asked, speeding up and passing a few cars. "No... Harry, she's gone. I'm so sorry, I turned away for one second. We were playing out front and she kicked her ball under my car so I went to get it out... She's gone, Harry. I've looked everywhere, and called the police. She's gone. Oh god, I'm so sorry." She explained, panicking.

"Mum, hey it's ok, don't blame yourself. I'm on my way." I commented, hanging up. I dropped my phone onto the passenger seat, and shoved my hand through my hair. "Damn it." I muttered, speeding up even more...

When I got there, my mum was sobbing on the doorstep, trying to explain to the police officers what had happened. I looked around, seeing Grace's toys scattered across the driveway. I sighed, shoving my hands through my hair and walking up to her..

She got up, walking over and hugging me. "I'm so sorry, Harry." She said, tears streaming down her cheeks. I pulled back after a few seconds, looking around, trying to figure out how this could've happened. There were a few cars parked on the street, but none that I hadn't seen there before..

I crouched down, shoving my hands through my hair, trying to remember how to breathe..

I felt a hand on my shoulder. "Are you the father?" A man asked, and I stood up, turning around. "Yes. I am. Please tell me you have good news." I said, feeling the adrenaline still coursing through my body..

"I'm sorry, no. I have to take your statement.. Where were you at the time of the abduction, which was approximately 53 minutes ago." He questioned, checking his watch. "At home. I was at home.." I commented.

"But listen, I know who took her, ok? It was Ryan. It's Grace's mother's ex-boyfriend. He just got released from jail this morning. I don't know his last name or anything, but he definitely took her." I explained, and Anne walked over. "Please don't tell me that horrible man has my granddaughter.." She commented, her tone becoming distraught.. "I think so." I murmured, praying that she was ok. She had to be okay...

***

I spent the next hour at my mum's place, talking to the officers, trying to explain to them that Ryan was extremely violent. But I didn't know what else to tell them, because I didn't know much about him besides that...

I decided to drive back to my place to listen to the recordings again, to see if I'd missed anything that could tell me where he'd taken Grace..

I pulled into the garage, shutting it behind me and going into the house. I froze where I was, seeing Grace sitting at the kitchen table, coloring something. She looked over. "Daddy! You're back!" She exclaimed, getting up and running over, her arms tightening around my legs.

"Oh my god, you're ok." I whispered, crouching down and pulling her closer to me, smelling the top of her head.. She was ok.. But how? How did she get here?

"Ok, too much hugging." She got out, forcing me to let go of her. I actually felt like I could start crying, knowing she wasn't with Ryan, and that she was fine.. "Grace, who brought you here?" I asked, and she looked up at me, smiling...

"Mummy."