Part 17

*** March 3, 2028 ***
•• 2:15PM ••

Today's Grace's birthday. I've been in France for the last twelve days. I originally came here to meet the guy I'd started working for, but then realized just how much I've missed being here and being able to speak French everyday..

On my way to one of the locally-owned coffee shops, my phone started vibrating in my back pocket. I sighed, pulling it out and answering it. "Do you know what today is?" Harry asked. I sighed. "Yes." I replied, narrowly avoiding running into someone else walking on the street..

"So, where are you?" He questioned. I bit my lip, hesitant. "I'm working." I said. "It doesn't sound like you're working. It sounds like you're walking somewhere." He commented, and I sighed, shoving my free hand through my hair.. "I'm going to get coffee, and then getting back to work. I just got this new job, so I have to do a bunch of shit to prove I'm a good employee." I explained, technically not lying about any of it..

"It's her birthday, Brynn. You need to be here. Can't you just swing by for a bit? She really misses you." He said. "Harry.. I really can't. I'm in France." I replied. "Why are you there? I thought you were trying to stay near-by, so you could be around Grace." He questioned. "I told you, I'm working." I stated, walking into the small coffee shop and getting in line..

"Brynn.. So, there's really no way you can make an appearance at some point today?" He asked, and I moved up in the line. "Hold on a sec." I said, listening to the woman when she asked what I wanted.. "Puis-je avoir un petit café glacé?" I asked, and she nodded, typing it in. I handed her my card, and she scanned it, giving it back to me..

"I always forget you're fluent in French." Harry commented.. The woman handed me my drink. "Merci." I said, walking out of the shop..

"Alright, so where were we?" I asked, trying to remember. "You not showing up for your daughter's birthday." He said. I sighed.. "Listen.. Um.. I never did the whole birthday thing growing up. So, I don't really see the point." I said. "You never celebrated your birthday?" He asked. "What's to celebrate? I was miserable for over half my life." I replied.

"Ok.. Fine. That's fair. But this isn't about you. This is about Grace, who does celebrate birthdays." He commented, and I sighed, crossing the street and taking a sip from the coffee..

"Harry.. I really don't have time." I stated. "Brynn, please. She's literally done nothing but talk about you since she woke up this morning." He begged, and I rolled my eyes. "Harry, I can't. Listen, if you want to bring her to France, fine. But I'm seriously really busy today." I said.

"Where in France are you?" He asked. "Colmar." I answered. "Never heard of it." He stated, and I turned onto the street I'm staying on. "And you really wouldn't mind us coming there? Also, I don't understand why we can come there, but you can't come here." He commented. "No, I don't care. And I told you why, Harry. I'm working." I replied..

"Fine. Um. We'll be there later today, just send me the address of wherever you're staying." He said. "Ok." I stated, already knowing I'd have to work nonstop for the next few hours, just to make up for the time I'll miss when they're here..

I hung up, and walked over, going up the stairs that lead to the place I'm staying at....

***

I spent the next five hours working without any breaks, and jumped when there was knocking on my door. I sighed, getting up and walking over, opening it, knowing Harry had texted me saying they were almost here..

"Oh my god." I got out, in complete shock. "Good to see you too." Andrew said, walking past me.. I slowly shut the door, turning to face him, honestly just really confused as to how he even knew where I was.