Part 14

*** Harry's POV ***

Three days passed, and Brynn hadn't answered any of my calls. It concerned me, given the fact that she'd gone over four days without sleeping, and didn't even remember being awake..

"Daddy, I want to see mum." Grace said, walking into the kitchen, where I was making dinner.. "I know, hon. She's not answering my calls. Sometimes she gets busy with work, so I'm going to give her the space she needs." I replied. "Ok. But can I see her?" She asked, and I laughed..

"We're both going to give her space." I commented, and she sent me an annoyed look that reminded me a lot of Brynn.....

** February 18, 2028 **

Another three days passed, and I still hadn't heard from Brynn. So, while Grace was in school, I decided to drive to the house she'd been renting. I parallel parked across the street from her house, seeing a car I didn't recognize alongside Brynn's.. I hesitated, before getting out of the car and walking up the driveway. I didn't bother knocking, and walked right in, not surprised that after all these years she still doesn't lock her doors..

I shut the door back behind me, hearing voices coming from down the hall. I hesitated, looking around for any clues as to who could be here with her.

They were arguing. "You got him sent back to jail, Brynn. He's my best friend." A guy's voice came from one of the bedrooms..

"He hurt her. I told him if he laid a finger on either of them, that he'd regret it. It's not my fault he didn't listen to me." Brynn replied. "Ok, but you seriously thought it would be a good idea to testify against him? You know how pissed he was about the evidence you brought to the trial?" The guy questioned. I took a few steps down the hallway, not sure if I should make my presence known or not..

"Of course I know that; I dated him. He deserves to be back in there." She replied, and I heard the guy scoff. "He'll come after you when he gets out. You and that girl you still think is your child." He stated. "She is my child. And I don't care. He lays a finger on either one of us, or even on Harry, he knows he goes right back in there. Same goes for you." She commented.

"Whatever. I'm leaving. By the way, if it wasn't obvious, you're out of a job. Watch your back, Brynn." He stated, and I backed into one of the other bedrooms, hiding behind the wall as he stormed out of Brynn's room..

I heard the front door slam shut, then heard Brynn's footsteps. I walked out of the room, nearly running into her. She jumped, and then lightly hit my chest. "Jesus christ, Harry. What the hell are you doing here?" She asked. "You didn't answer my calls, so I tried to give you some space for a few days, but then you still wouldn't answer." I explained.. "Right.. I forgot how clingy you can be." She replied, walking down the hallway.

I followed her, noticing the glass windows had been repaired.. "So, Ryan went back to jail? For how long?" I asked. "How come you tell your child not to eavesdrop, and yet you yourself do it?" She questioned, going into the kitchen and grabbing a mug from one of the cabinets. "Brynn." I said, and she sighed, turning around.

"When was the last time you slept?" I asked, seeing prominent dark circles under her eyes. She was wearing an oversized grey sweater and probably some shorts.. "I don't know. That's not exactly high on my list of priorities right now." She replied, turning back and filling her cup up with coffee.

"What's been going on?" I questioned, watching her take a sip from the mug..

She leaned against the counter, facing me. "Too much.. Had to get the windows repaired, then was called in to testify against Ryan in court for a few days... Jackson showed up out of nowhere and started getting in my face about that whole thing. So, now I don't have a job. But it's really whatever. I'll be fine." She explained. "You look exhausted." I commented, and she laughed, although it seemed like it was forced..

"I am. Now.. What'd you need?" She asked, standing up straighter.. "For you to sleep." I said, and she rolled her eyes. "There's no time for that, Harry. What don't you understand about that?" She questioned, drinking more of the coffee.. I sighed, walking over and taking the cup from her, carefully setting it down on the counter.

Surprisingly she didn't say anything, and just sighed, shoving her hands through her hair.. "Come here." I said quietly, and she seemed to hesitate a moment, before stepping towards me. I gently slid my arms around her, and felt it when she finally relaxed. I stood like that for probably a minute, surprised that she hadn't pulled back yet. She had her head turned, resting against my chest.

"Hey, Brynn?" I asked quietly, not getting a response. I slowly pulled back a little, seeing she had her eyes closed. I smiled. "Ok. Here, come on. We're gonna walk over here." I said, gently grabbing her hand.. She opened her eyes, and allowed me to pull her out of the kitchen and into the living room..

I started walking down the hall to her bedroom, and she stopped, walking over and sitting down on the couch. I let go of her wrist, grabbing a nearby blanket as she laid down.. I placed the blanket over her, watching as she curled up on her side, instantly falling asleep.....