Chapter 40

"We have to go after her!" Beatrix cried.

"No," said Elijah sharply. "Not you."

"You think I'm going to be able to just sit here while Aurora has Cami?" shrieked Beatrix.

"Do you not hear what I have been explaining?" he demanded. "Aurora is not to be toyed with, and she will certainly not hesitate to kill you if she comes across you."

"I can take her! I have magic and she doesn't!"

"And she is nearly seven hundred years older than you, and even without magic, will put up a fair fight!"

"So I'm just supposed to sit here and do nothing?"

"Not 'nothing.' After all, we have Tristan and will need him to find Rebekah. I'm certain you won't mind helping to torture him."

Beatrix gritted her teeth. "And what if I'd rather look for Cami? She shouldn't be involved in all of this!"

"Niklaus and Marcellus will scour the city for her," he assured her. "Not to mention Vincent Griffith and the other vampires will be more than willing to help if Marcel asks them to. She will not be left to harm. You needn't worry."

"How can't I worry? You're flaunting about how dangerous Aurora is—"

"She will kill you and Camille if you go near them!" he yelled. "If she learns that the both of you have captured Niklaus's affections, she will not wait. She is playing a game, and I assure you, Camille will be found in one piece. You need to stay in this house. Occupy yourself on other things— do not try and go seek Aurora out."

The Heretic growled lowly, but did not argue. "Good," said Elijah more calmly. "You should rest Freya and I will make any necessary preparations in order to get Tristan talking."

Beatrix huffed. "How am I expected to sleep after all of this? No, I'm going right now to help Freya prepare, so that we can find Rebekah quickly."

Elijah caught her arm as she tried to brush past him, and removed her daylight ring, staring into her eyes to compel her. "Go and rest," he demanded. "In the morning, you will meet us in the upstairs study. Fall asleep quickly."

She had no choice. He handed her back the ring, and she glared back at him before going to do what she was told.

Were it not for his compulsion, it would have taken her forever to sleep. She would have been awake thinking of Klaus and the prospect of him having feelings for her. She would have been wracked with guilt, thinking that not so long ago, she'd lost Kai, and now, she was returning her thoughts to her long-hidden feelings for Klaus, which realistically had never fully dissipated.

Instead, she drifted off immediately.

"Beatrix, if you don't come down in four seconds, I will rip your dress to shreds."

She was down in three, casting Klaus a very offended look. "Excuse you, I happen to like this dress," she said, turning in a circle. "Can't rush this sort of fixing up."

It was 1831 and they were off to a party, but Beatrix had been taking too long to get ready, according to Klaus. Her dress was a crimson chiffon, off the shoulder with puffed sleeves, falling down to her toes and barely hanging over the ground once she'd put on her shoes. She'd worn the jewelry that Klaus had gifted her— diamond earrings that flowed down her ears like honey and a diamond princess-style necklace that fit around her exposed throat and collarbones. She had done her makeup to bring out her rosy cheeks, and her hair, long and flowy at the time, was parted down the middle and tied back into an elegant bun, though several strands had been curled delicately beside her cheeks, grazing her shoulders when she turned her head.