Chapter 66

Beatrix did her best to comfort Hayley.

Without words, she had brought her breakfast. She'd helped Hope get ready for the day. She drew the hybrid a bath and did some magic to keep the water bubbling like a jacuzzi. She made her bed and helped put away her clothes.

Hayley's eyes darted all over the place. She looked anxious. Expecting the Elijah she saw behind the red door to burst out and strangle her.

"I think," said Beatrix quietly when she found her pacing in her room, "you can go and talk to him. He's still desiccated, and he won't be able to respond, but it might help you."

Hayley put a hand on her mouth and swallowed hard. "I should..." but she didn't sound eager.

"No pressure. You can practice whatever you want to say when he wakes up."

The hybrid nodded. "Yeah..." she looked up. "How did you do it? How could you... see that and not... lose it?"

"By the time I went in with him, I'd already done several terrible things. I was no stranger to violence. I'd seen how unhinged Kol, Klaus, and Rebekah could be. I expected Elijah had his torments, too. I knew what I was going to walk into when he let me into his mind. I knew what to expect. But he wanted me to know and I did my best to be accepting. The situation was so different. If we'd known that he was behind the red door..."

"You would have gone right away," murmured Hayley. "I... I thought I really knew him. And honestly, I don't."

Beatrix took her hands. "Talk to him. Think of what you want him to know. When he's resurrected, you can have a serious conversation, alright?"

Hayley nodded, and released her before walking off.

"I'm worried about Hayley," said Beatrix quietly once she got downstairs to Freya. "She's not doing too well."

"It's only been a day," said Freya. "Maybe she'll feel better later. Elijah will be full of apologies, I know that."

"I can imagine he'll never forgive himself. He's going to be making it up to her for the next several years."

Freya pursed her lips. "I wish there had been a way to know beforehand. I should have assumed he'd be behind the red door."

"I should have assumed it, too. I should have protected her. Elijah thoroughly prepared me before he let me see. Hayley got attacked because she had no idea what to expect."

Just then, Hayley walked up, holding out Freya's pendant, which now had a crack on it. "This is bad, isn't it?" said Hayley shakily.

Freya took the pendant and bit her lip. Beatrix glanced down as she heard Klaus entering the room.

"What's the matter?" the hybrid asked.

Freya looked up. "Despite the spell I cast, the very integrity of the pendant is growing unstable. It won't be able to hold Elijah's soul much longer. We need to find a way to resurrect him tonight, or we could lose him forever."

Beatrix hummed. "We need more power. Even with the three of us witches, channeling others, it won't be enough."

"Let me guess," said Klaus. "We require a grand sacrifice."

Freya nodded. "I say we kill our enemy and sacrifice her, then I can channel the power from the Hollow's death, raise Elijah's body, and place him back where he belongs."

Hayley rubbed her chin. "We've tried everything already..."

"We know Labonair blood is her Achilles' heel," mused Beatrix. "The thing is... Hayley, you're not actually alive. So your blood wasn't strong enough to harm her."