Chapter 64

Beatrix felt better during the next few days, but everything quickly went to shit.

She missed Klaus. They had acted civil and casual despite it feeling so strange. She'd listened as Hayley told them about the Labonairs and The Hollow's jaw bone and how other families apparently had parts of its body. She had listened to Elijah explaining how he'd murdered four teenage witches for the Harvest ritual in order to restore the link with the Ancestors in hopes of defeating The Hollow. Beatrix had been calm and collected the entire time, even though she wanted to scream.

Hope had been the one that sensed something was off about the bone. Klaus had not been successful in destroying it, and one morning when they had come downstairs for breakfast, Hope had told them about how she could hear the voices of the Ancestors, telling her that she and Hayley were connected to it.

And so, they'd divided. Hayley and Klaus had gone off to St. Anne's Church to speak with the four Harvest girls. Meanwhile, Beatrix had accompanied Elijah to get Marcel so that they could accept one of the other bones from Alaric, who was bringing it from Mystic Falls after finding it in the Lockwood Mansion.

"Hope is remarkably in tune with magic," sighed Beatrix as they went up the elevator. "Were it not for her, we'd have had no idea that The Hollow was what was coming for us, or that the Labonairs have something to do with it. If it turns out we're actually related..."

"I expect that will make your bond with Hayley that much more special," said Elijah, though he seemed lost in thought.

"You and Hayley seemed tense this morning," observed Beatrix.

"She was not very amused with what I did to those witch girls. She has never really seen my darker side. She looked appalled."

Beatrix sighed. "You need to have a talk with her about that, soon."

"I fear she won't be very inclined to understanding. It was different with you. We'd known each other over half a century when I let you past the red door with me. That day... it was dedicated just to being vulnerable. You comforted me and comprehended everything you saw and heard. You did not judge me. Hayley..."

"She has never been a killer the way the rest of us were," Beatrix murmured. "I had killed before, many times, once you took me in there."

"Yes, but... you went in with such a gentle demeanor. You never once seemed disgusted with what we did. You always accepted our flaws but helped us be better. It was because of you that I gained control and suppressed all the memories."

They were silent the entire rest of the way, both feeling awkward. Unsure what to say.

Marcel was in his apartment with Sofya.

"I'm sure your men will find the bones," said Sofya reassuringly. "By compulsion or alternative forms of persuasion."

"Of course," answered Marcel. "Just takes time."

"Of which we have none," said Elijah. "We need to talk. If you wouldn't mind." He nodded to Sofya, who stepped off to the side.

"We're taking a little field trip," said Beatrix in a positive tone. "We're meeting an expert shortly. He'll be coming from Mystic Falls, carrying one of the bones and the means to find another. Between the four of us, we should have those remains by sundown."

Marcel nodded. "I have no problem going with you. But him— why should I trust you, Elijah? And for that matter, why would you trust me?"

Elijah shrugged. "I don't. But why should we let old grievances hinder our common goal? Here's a proposal." He brought a very fancy knife— the one Freya had made that could kill Marcel. "You come with us, I surrender the only weapon that can take your life."