Chapter 2

George's pov

I awake in pain. My neck and back ache, and I can't stop thinking about the new death I'm supposed to "get over."

"Just stop thinking about it damn it. You've lost someone before, and you're just going to again until no ones left or you die yourself." I want to just go back to sleep, want to just dream about a world before all of this, with everyone I loved.

Life just doesn't work that way huh.

Even if I did try going back to sleep, it'd just be tossing and turning all night long. The nightmares I have are even worse than the reality around me. Sleeping is a pain, waking up is a pain.

I wish I could just go back. Go back to when I used to have to wake up early for school. Go back to when I used to be to stubborn to get up, so my mom would open the blinds and let in the bright lights. I miss that. I miss her.

I decided to just stop thinking about my old life, I need to continue this one, the depressing present. The nightmare.

After throwing my legs off my bed, I head down to the kitchen so I could at least try to make something that I can eat. Maybe pancakes? French toast? Eggs or bacon? But once opening the cabinets and fridge the sad reality hits me, I dont have any food left. It's almost impossible to even get a single snack these days.

I walk over to my window just above the counter, and set both arms down while leaning into it. My fist meets my chin with a sign. I remember being a kid and looking out this window. It was one of my favorite spots in the house. The trees were always so beautiful at anytime of year, and the lake in the distance always shined bright blue during the summer.

I also remember when I used to build snowman's by that lake, heck I even tried ice skating with it. It never really worked out, and well we were very lucky to not of fallen in, we did crack it a few times though.

Life used to be a dream, but now it's a nightmare.

Once I leave my world of the past, the present hits me. I look around at what was once beauty. All that was something, was gone. Every little spec of color, though I couldn't see all colors, I still very much enjoyed the ones I could. And I was always greatful for that.

But now, you could practically see the pollution in the air, the dead trees, the brownish-yellow grass, it's like life never entered this area at all.

With another sigh, I look over to my right. The vase she left, her favorite flower. Mom was always so creative and loved colors. When she found out I was actually colorblind, she was devastated. Then she made the decision to make me a vase, specifically with the colors I can see well, and find beauty in. While even though it's small, it is still my favorite thing in this worn down colorless house. The flower might've lost it's vibrantsy, but that doesn't bother me one bit.

But just as I'm about to start walking away, a loud noise from right outside my window scares me. When I look over, I see a man, wearing a silly mask with a duffle bag. Next to him looks to be a shattered phone on the sidewalk. Though I can't see his face, he seems very upset, which is understandable. Just as I start seeing the contaminated winds pushing him around, I'm brought back into reality once more.

Why is he out right now??? Doesn't he know it spreads faster after 5pm? Without thinking I grab my face mask and put it on while opening my door.

"What are you doing out right now?! It's past 5!" The tall man looks up to me, then rushes over.

"Um, sorry-"

American.

"Is it possible I could stay-? Just for a bit." He then rolls up his left sleeve to above his shoulder. "I don't have the mark don't worry."