Chapter 18

??? pov

"Has anybody found any information yet?"

"No sir, not yet."

"How close are we to finding any promising locations?"

"Wait- I think I might know where." One of the others butt in, my smile widens.

"Go on." I lean against the table, resting my head in my hand.

"I don't know if you noticed, but recently the cases in the UK have been through the roof, it seems as our latest test is spreading it more."

"There's a travel ban, how could It increase so much to our levels?"

"Well recently the cases here are starting to fall a bit, and the symptoms are significantly less than before." I hear someone yell from the other side of the lab, hearing this made me furious.

"Then spread it more!"

"We have already tried that sir! We've been leaving the samples in as many places as possible. It's just not as big as it was before."

"Then how is it spreading more there with the symptoms growing?"

"Sir, I have a theory. But it could be far fetched." I take a deep breath, holding my arms behind my back, listening carefully. I nod for the man to continue. "We think it could possibly be test subject one, the boy." Clay. I like where this is going. "If he was somehow to escape the country, then that would also explain how we can't find him, and he did have the highest chance of spreading it more."

"It would make the most sense, but how? I highly doubt he knows how to drive a plane, and none of our private jets are gone either. There's no chance someone with us took him, as everyone was here at all times." I sit down to think, how. Maybe it doesn't matter how. The UK is much to far to take anything there in such a short amount of time. It's definitely possible though, even though it may not seem that way. "Okay, everyone. Stand to face me."

In seconds, everyone's out of their chairs twords me, arms placed behind. "I'm going to need you to send out the search teams, but you're going to need more than just a plane." I start pacing around the group, thinking of all the things. "You're going to need to create some tracker where you see most of the cases spreading live. I'm not sure how you can do it, but I believe in this group to. You've all been very loyal, now use those brains and invent this thing!" They all sit down, keyboard sounds fill the room at rapid speeds.

I continue as they start searching. "Don't forget, we're going to another country, so you're going to need tons of food. I know it's severely difficult to get anything around there. After all, I would know." I talk more about the essentials, like water, or rooms to stay in for the time being.

I leave the room, letting them work for a while alone. I walk down the white halls until I reach my office in the front. The second I sit at my desk, my hand lingers over the the framed picture sitting on it. "I miss you." I pick up the photo, it brings back so many great memories. She was the best. I would do anything to have that back, and I mean anything. It's just not fair, not fair at all. It was just something from nature, nothing like now.

I slam my fist down into the desk. "Just like since the begining, if I can't have the one I love, my family, my wife, then no one can. No one, can be happy."

I take a nice deep breath, wonder how they are doing. Pretty sure the youngest is already gone, don't know about the older one though, he's probably not. Not like I got a call or anything for him.

Both of them loved her too, hah, at least they did more than they loved me. I wasn't bad, just never home, but now I'm never home. Visit occasionally, but I use those times to spread it. The latest time was the last, and most powerful, so I haven't went back in so long. I hope I don't run into him, I really don't. I'd rather the virus take them. I mean, what's even the point anymore, right?

I start thinking about the new journey ahead of me, not sure when we're leaving. Probably the second they make the tracker. If we don't find him, then he could ruin everything. He knew so much about it, and dammit he was smart too.

This is the first time I'm going out there to work specifically with my job, I need to make sure to avoid him. He can't know, and if he finds out, he better understand why.

808 words