Chapter 3

George's pov

I look to my left. Dead vines covering the only escape. My right, the photos of all my friends. Burned. Like always.

I see a new face. No. Not a face. Not a real one. A mask. A new friend.

Soon the photo falls. Fire spreads. I look down, the same chair. I can't move. I'm tied in place. My wrists being held down by the vines that lasted years. My ankles also being tied. It won't budge. There's no point in trying anymore-

A sound.

That's new.

Foot steps.

Closer.

Something's here.

Cold blade. To my throat. I see that similar mask. Where- where do I know that from? The photo. I look down. Burned. Back up. A grin.

Pain.

A yell.

My own.

"George?"

Who's there.

"George??? Wake up!"

The mark glows brighter.

"WAKE UP!"

The visions. My friends. Same mark. Same fate.

"Are you okay?!" I jolt awake in a cold sweat, Dream's on top of me. Shaking me. Another dream. The same one, but a new addition-? It's been the same for years- why now?

"O-oh y-yeah. Sorry I-I tend to have nightmares a lot."

"Thank God. That scared the shit out of me." Dream takes a deep breath. "I just heard screaming and- I know I haven't know you for long but dang."

I sit there for a second looking into the masked eyes, wondering what's behind them. I want to just take it off him. I don't know what it is but there's an urge to.

After another second of silence, he mumbles "sorry" while getting off of me, realizing the position. I was to in my thoughts to even think of that right now. My cheeks turn a light pink and I look away while assuring him it's fine.

Once Dream was up, he sits at the edge of the bed. We sit there just looking at each other for a while, I don't know why but looking at him just- calms me down. But my phone ringing breaks the silence, and I immediately look at the screen to see who it was.

Them.

I've seen this number to much before to not remember. Who is it this time. Who has it. I give Dream a worried expression before picking up the call.

"Hello. This is the CPI."

Contamination prevention institute.

"It is protical to call everyone in people's contacts to let them know how long until this person dies from the virus."

Please just get to it already. I've heard the same voice to much. The same message.

"Unfortunately, the one that has the mark, is known as Nick Armstrong."

Sapnap

"We are sorry to inform you that his date would be the 12th of July. This is a lot longer than the average person, so it's very lucky."

My heart stopped. One month. No, no, no, no! The last time I talked to him I- I was a dick.

"I'm sorry you had to hear about this. If you would like to visit then you would need the regular precautions, such as a mask and gloves. Also you may not get close to the patient, as it is very contagious."

With my very shaky voice, I thank the person and hang up the call. His immune system was strong, but no ones is strong enough. The mark kills it as a matter of fact.

I look at Dream with my pale eyes, and have shaky hands. He looks back curiously.

"Was it-"

"Yeah. It was." I look off to the side. The awkward silence is intense, but I just don't care right now. I wish I could go back, and change what I said to him.

"Do you- want a hug?" With tears in my eyes I look up at him again, and whisper my answer.

"Y-yes." He then gently wraps his arms around me, and I can't help sob. He was my closest friend, my best. I can't even think about life without him. Dream then starts rubbing my back in a circular motion, causing me to cry harder. After many, many minutes of crying I start calming down a bit.

"Do you feel better now?" I sniffle, my head still in his chest while I nod. When I pull away I look at his tear stained shirt.

"I-I'm sorry."

"Oh no, no it's okay. While I don't fully understand your pain, I definitely know where you're coming from. If anything, I'm sorry I can't help-"

"You helped a lot!" I say a bit loudly, almost a shout. "I mean- no ones ever even held me before or tried to help. Besides-" I choke on my words, unable to speak. He then opens up his arms again.

"Come here, it's okay." As I fall into them, I think about when I would always play games with him, heck I even visited him in real life once after he moved closer. Right before this all started.

I wish life was still a dream. But now, it's a nightmare.

846 words