Chapter 2- Ryder

EDITED

--Ryder--

My parents always tell me not to bother, that many people have tried and failed to find her, that she would have been eaten already. They don't believe that she could still be out there, that something could have saved her, I don't blame them. 14 years is a long time to wait for a toddler to return. This year will make it 15.

She was supposed to shift today, if she was alive.

"Please dad? I just want to take a look around!" I plead for the 12th time today. He sighs and looks at me.

"Ryder, I get you want to go for a look but with all these panther sightings its too dangerous for a 13 year old to be wandering around," he states before turning back to the TV.

"Please dad!" I'm desperate.

"No," he says in his don't mess with me voice. I groan and head to my room.

I understand that the panther's are dangerous but thats only if you attack. I've been sneaking out since I was 7 to try and find Peace. From what I've seen by sitting in the tree's is that when border patrol come past and notice one of the cats sleeping or just walking around they go and try to kill it, but become a meal themselves.

I go to my desk and pull out my notebook. I write,

I am going out without permission again tonight. I need to get closer to the panthers. I want to start moving upstream to see if there's something living up that end. Wish me luck.

I always write my objective in before I leave, then I leave at midnight at observe.

"Dinner!" Mum calls up the stairs.

------------------------------------

My watch alarm starts going off meaning its midnight. I grab my bag and notebook before silently creeping out of the house. Mum and Dad should be asleep by now so I won't get caught.

I make the short trek to the 'jungle', really it's just where some tree's grew on top of rocks and eventually it became a very dense patch of land. I guess the cats think its an actual jungle. I climb up the tree I always do, it's right next to the stream and it's easy to jump to the next few trees so I don't get caught.

I've noticed the cats like to hunt at night and I can see why. If I didn't have my night vision goggles I wouldn't be able to see their black coats slinking around the shadows. Slowly I move upstream like I said I would.

Just as I'm coming towards a waterfall I hear a cry of pain. I look around finding no one close by. Oh god, is someone being eaten? What if their hurt? I jump out of the tree and run, I don't care if I'm being followed by a deadly creature, someone needs help. Another yelp sounds over the noise of the rushing water, it almost sounds like it's coming from inside the waterfall.

I cautiously approach the water. What if someone's being crushed by the water! Looking up I see the water is coming from at least 2 stories up. Oh my god. Once again I hear a scream and gulp. I'm gonna have to go through it.

Taking a deep breath to steel myself, I dive through the pounding water. Honestly, I thought I would crush my head against a solid rock wall but instead I enter a cave.

The cave is like any other I've seen in the movies. The walls tower above me in an arch, the grey rock walls damp, an endless darkness ahead. Someone whimpers not far in front of me. I switch my goggles for a flashlight so the other person can see as well.

Its a girl, she's covered in mud and dirt. From what I can see, her hair is black and reaches way past her back. She's shaking, her hands start turning into paws, her nose becomes a snout. Slowly she shifts for what looks and sounds like the first time.

10 minutes later she's fully shifted. But not into a wolf.

The girl seems nervous, like if she stands she's going to break.

"You know, it won't hurt to try stand," I advise. Her eyes meet mine for just a moment and what I see in those ice blue eyes shocks me- fear, hate, suprise and confusion. She growls but not at me.

In a flash more creatures like her burst through the wall and surround me. My eyes widen as I realise whats happening, but before I can react I'm under her claws, pinned to the wall.

So, is Ryder a bit too curious? Curiousity killed the cat, maybe it will kill him too. Comment what you think is gonna happen or your thoughts. I have a feeling this is gonna be a predictable book, but it might not be.

Make sure you vote as well please!

-Wolfy