Chapter 9- Ice

Don't know if you'll hate me for this chapter but it has to be done. I'm so sorry! I hated writing this chapter, please don't kill me!

EDITED

--Ice--

It's been 2 more winters and Nala isn't looking good. I know she's old just not how old. I'm keeping her in my cave for now, Trixie is going to get small meals for Nala because she says she has stomach pains.

Nala starts panting rapidly.

Amber! Help me move her into the water! I shout at her. She rushes over to Nala's other side and together we pull her closer to the water. I really hope this helps. Trixie bursts in with a small meal, one in which I'm drooling over. What! I haven't eaten in 2 days.

She sets it down in front of Nala who refuses with a swift shake of her head.

For... I-ice she forces the words out. I cry out in protest, she needs it more then me.

Y-you need... Food I look at her ribs, poking out of her side. Again I protest about her needing it more then me.

I've lived for more winters then I was supposed to, you still have more left. That's my dying wish, for you to eat something she groans.

Do I want to take her food? Her one chance at surviving? I am hungry but not enough to steal. I look at her pleading eyes and my walls crumble. I reluctantly snatch the meat from in front of her and swallow it whole. Her forest eyes light up for a moment before she coughs and all life leaves her eyes.

We all whimper, knowing our mother is dead. 3 moons ago we decided if she dies then we'll take her to her land and leave her. The trip takes longer then it usually does, considering we have to drag Nala's now dead body with us.

Her small square of land is made of a dirt floor with moss. The canopy of trees open up, letting the light from the rising moon filter across the earth. Almost as soon as she's on the ground Amber runs off. Probably to grieve alone. Trixie just stares at the limp figure in front of us before taking off as well.

I stare for what feels like an eternity before shifting. I let out a loud, low, sorrowful yowl to the moon. I hope she can hear my pain from wherever she is now. A loud crashing comes from behind me so I spin to see what it is.

A black beast towers over me, red eyes trained on me. I take on a fighting stance, ready to protect my dead friends body. The beast cowers away from my snarl, taken aback by my willingness for a fight. I bare my canines and it... whimpers? But I'm hungry! Why can't it just attack so I can eat something bigger then a baby monkey?

Its red eyes flick over to my friend before going back to me. Understanding flashes across those red eyes. With one more look at me it leaves. Just turned and walked away. Why would a beast twice my size run from a tiny growl and some teeth? I shrug the encounter off and settle down for a nap, deciding to stay in case something else tries to steal her.

I'm sorry! I wanted to get this one out of the way. I feel so mean! But it's over now so that's good...

I don't know how to properly dedicate chapters but this one goes out to Mea, one of my dog cause she almost chopped her leg off this morning...

Again, please send me any art you do for this book! It's much appreciated!

-Wolfy