Chapter 33: Dilemmas & Desires

"Aapki Badi Maa apne ateet ke darr mein jee kar faisle leti hai"

"Ab bataiye Abir, aap kiski taraf hain?"

"Mere bete ko aisi duvidha mein mat daaliye."

The tapping of the feet pacing frantically around the room was the only sound heard.

"Aapko jo sahi lage, kijiye."

His lines of forehead creased in worry. Abir sat at the edge of his bed and covered his face in his palms, with Bade papa's conviction ringing in his ears.

"Mishti iss waqt ek chhoti bachhi jaisi hai Abir, jisey nahi pata uske liye kya... kaun zaroori hai. Lekin hum unke papa hain na, humein sab pata hai."

Abir raised his head and stared at the origami windchimes.

"Aaj shaam ko aa jana, Mishti ko Abir se milwana hai. Dobara."

Abir averted his gaze at the buzzing of his phone.

"Abir yaar," Kartik's irritated voice reached his ears, "phone uthane ke liye hota hai. Kabse try kar raha hoon."

"Sorry," Abir replied lowly, "silent... pe tha."

"Are you fine?"

Abir had no answer. He wondered if he should share with Kartik the near-cold war between Badi maa and Bade papa.

"I think I know what's on your mind." Kartik spoke up.

Abir heaved a sigh. "Life mein aisa pehli baar hua hai, ki Badi maa aur Bade papa same team mein nahi hain. Main Badi maa ko hurt nahi karna chahta, lekin Bade papa ka jo trust hai mujh pe, I... I can't lose that too."

Kartik listened to him with full attention.

"Bade papa ne shaam ko ghar bulaya hai, but I'm sure Badi maa yeh nahi chahti."

"You're right," Kartik replied lowly, "especially after her panic attack."

"Wh-WHAT?" Abir shouted, "Panic attack? Mishti ko?" he rose to his feet, "Mishti theek haina? Mujhe bataya kyu nahi? Kab hua yeh?"

"Relax Abir," Kartik hesitated, "she's... fine. I guess so. Kal ki raat, sab ke liye mushkil guzri. Lekin humari Mishti itni strong hai, ki kal ka dard uske chehre pe aaj dikhega bhi nahi."

Abir sat on the bed with a thud. His restlessness of the previous night had suddenly started to make a whole lot of sense. He felt his heart being ripped out of his chest with every cry of Mishti's agony that didn't reach his ears.

"Mish... oh God," Abir held his face in his palms, "is..isliye badi maa itni dari hui thi?" His voice cracked, "Mish...Mishti theek haina?"

"Abir," Kartik replied with a sad smile, "you know how Mishti is. Naira aur maine baat ki, lekin uske mann mein kya hai, kabhi pata nahi chalega. Aur Naman Agarwal toh bachpan ki woh chot hai jo sirf apna nishaan nahi chhodti... jaate-jaate chot ko zakhm bana ke hi jaati hai."

Abir stood silent over the line. His legs itched to run straight out of his house up to Mishti's, but Badi maa's fears had tied his feet to the ground. Abir let out a frustrated groan and brushed his fingers through his hair in a failed attempt to calm his nerves down.

"Kartik," Came Abir's croaky voice, "I... need to see her... please."

"Abir?" Kartik replied in worry, "I think you should wail-"