Chapter 34: Connecting the Dots

"Ajeeb aadmi..." Mishti muttered under her breaths, "Kahin bhi jaaye, bas mere peeche na aaye."

Abir's lips adorned a sweet smile as she walked off. He had heard what she whispered to herself, but Mishti had no idea what was coming her way.

Her prayers were going to get answered.

"Abir beta?"

Abir froze. The voice he'd recognise even among thousands, the voice he longed to hear a few words of love from, the voice that held a concern of mother had finally reached his ears. But right now, at this moment, Badi maa's presence at Mishti and his encounter was the last thing he wanted.

"Kisi na kisi ne tumhe bata hi diya hoga ab tak," Badi maa stared at the retreating figure of her daughter, "kal raat phir meri bachhi ko, Naman Agarwal ki beti hone ki saza mili."

Abir shut his eyes.

Badi maa, stared dead at the vastness of the land outside the temple.

"Main phir se apni beti nahi kho sakti Abir," She continued, "Phir chahe Mishti ko mujhe tumse bhi door kyu na rakhna pade, main karungi."

Abir took a step back and hung his head. Before he realized, tears had made their way down his cheeks. How quickly had life handed him tissues before he could even bask in the happiness he received a while back!

"Toh finally," Abir let out a half-hearted chuckle, "aap ne faisla suna diya. Jab tak Mishti meri thi, main bhi aapka beta tha." Tears rolled down his cheeks, "Mishti toh waise bhi... mujhse door hi hai... lekin maine Mishti ke alawa aur kayi rishte banaye hain," he wiped his cheeks, "aur ab aap maane... ya na maane, main uss ghar ka beta hoon." He affirmed.

"Beta maanti hoon tumhe Abir," Badi maa quickly wiped the lone tear escaping her eye, "tum mere hi bete ho, lekin Mishti... Mishti mera dil hai." She turned to him with dread, "Mera dil agar kahin chala gaya... main toh marr jaungi na?"

"Badi maa please!"

She joined her hands in front of him. "Apni Badi maa ko maaf karde, mera heera..." she caressed his cheek, "Tumhari ankhon mein padh sakti hoon, kitne bechain ho meri beti ki zindagi ka dobara hissa bann ne ke liye."

Abir hung his head.

"Lekin yeh tumhari wajah se nahi hai." She wiped the tears rolling down his cheeks, "Yeh tumhare uss naam ki wajah se hai, jo Mishti ke naam ke saath judne wala tha."

Abir furrowed his brows. Badi maa took a step ahead and heaved a sigh.

"Abir Rajvansh... Mishti ke liye yeh naam, aaj sirf Kunal ke bade bhai ki haisiyat se hai." She turned to him, "Tum yeh naam jis bhi tarha se Mishti ke saamne rakho... uske liye toh yeh sabse bada dhakka hi hoga, ki koi aa kar keh de... ki uski zindagi mein ek Abir Rajvansh tha," she paused, "ya yun kaho, ki woh khud Mishti Rajvansh bann ne wali thi."

Like a mother who left her child's hand in the middle of a crowded road, Abir desperately tried to hold on to the mother he had found in his Mishti's Badi maa. But right now, the woman who stepped out of the temple was just a mother scared to death, terrified to lose her daughter again. But this time, Abir had come with a promise to prove himself to be the son to his Badi Maa.

"Mishti ki life ka yeh sach, kahin nahi jaane wala Badi Maa."

Abir's loud conviction paused Badi maa in her tracks.