Chapter 36: Friendships

"Mishti Agarwal," Abir bent on his knees and looked straight into her eyes, "main humara purana har rishta bhulane ko tayyar hoon," he paused, "agar tum mujhe mere jhoot ke liye maaf karke, dosti ka haath thaamne ko tayyar ho." He forwarded his hand.

"Angry Chorni, mujhse dosti karogi?"

Mishti glanced at her Badi Maa and Bade Papa in hesitance. It was when her Bade papa passed her an encouraging nod that she reciprocated. Abir's hand in hers was more of a protective hold, as if every bit of the man who claimed to be her friend was telling her that he has been and will continue to be her shield against her problems, that she could put her trust in him. And for the first time since that fateful day, Abir beheld the one sight he desperately craved for - the look of acceptance in her eyes.

Abir Rajvansh was no more a familiar stranger to her.

"Achha ab baatein clear ho gayi ho toh chalein?" Kartik spoke up, "Naani ne kachoriya banayi hai aur khushbu yahan tak aa rahi hai."

Abir took it as his cue. "Ha..haan. Chalo, chalo sab." He nudged everyone to walk out, but paused suddenly and turned.

"Mishti?" Abir whispered softly, offering his hand. "Budhape ka sahara pasand nahi, dost ka haath chalega?"

Mishti hesitated, but held his hand and stood up. With Kartik on one side and Abir on the other, Mishti managed to walk out of her room without using her crutch. As they slowly made their way towards the hall room, Mishti couldn't help but notice the tenderness in his touch, with the way he wrapped his arm around her shoulders and feel the grip of protectiveness in his fingers. Abir's physical proximity had started to cast a spell on her, and he had such a familiar touch that Mishti did not feel to even resist.

"Thank you," Mishti whispered as he helped her sit on the couch.

Abir blinked. "Kis liye?"

"Pata nahi." Mishti smiled, "Bas, kehne ka mann hua, toh keh diya."

"Ahem ahem!" Abir cleared his throat and sat next to her, "Dosti ka ek oosul hai madam... no sorry, no thank you." he grinned.

"Maine Pyar Kiya!" Mishti replied almost instantly and Abir nodded with a twinkle in his eye. "See! Sab kuch nahi bhooli hoon main!" Mishti raised an invisible collar.

Abir stared at her with a longing look. He couldn't resist the hot tears that threatened to trickle down his cheeks. Mishti was desperately trying to build her lost confidence, Abir could see, and there was nothing he could do to help. But he couldn't let her see him breaking down either. Abir quickly brushed his tears away and jumped from his seat.

"Of course!" Abir turned to her, "Meri favourite movie hai. Aur kyunki tum meri dost ho," he held a big grin, "tumhara farz banta hai ki tum yeh movie mere saath dekho."

"No way!" Mishti scrunched her nose, "Main nahi dekhne wali koi boring movie."

"O hello," Abir bent on his knees, "you have no choice. Dosti ki hai, nibhani toh padegi hi."

"Ek aur dialogue!" Mishti shook her head in disbelief, "How cheesy can you be?"

Abir passed her a smirk, stood on his feet and walked away to the kitchen whistling. Standing in a corner eavesdropping their argument were Kartik and Naira, who had been enjoying every bit of the banter between Abir and now a somewhat miffed Mishti.

Sitting on the couch, Mishti had been observing every movement of the newfound friend in her life. Abir very well knew her eyes were on him and he deliberately moved around more for her to see all that he is doing.