Chapter 31: Find Me By Your Side

Recap - Abir realized the property papers of Champaner School in Mishti's name have been stolen. Mishti collides with the same thief and follows him all the way till the jungle, picking up Abir's stolen wallet and her pendant on the way. Mistaking Abir for the thief, she beats him black and blue. They both get lost in the jungle and are groped by the goons sent by none other than Mehul Kapadia & Naman Agarwal. Mishti is dragged to the shed where she sees Mehul & recognizes her father Naman Agarwal, thus bringing all of her bitter childhood trauma back. Abir reaches there to be her strength at the moment when Mishti is at her weakest & most vulnerable point in life.

Chapter 31: Find Me By Your Side

"You know what, Mr. Naman Agarwal?" Mishti wiped her tears vigorously, "Mujhe kamzor samajhna aapki sabse badi galti hai." She heaved a breath and bent down to pick the gun she had dropped.

Extremely stupefied, Abir stared at Mishti aiming the loaded gun straight at her father's chest. 

"MOVE BACK." She shouted at a terrified Naman, "Jaldi! Uss kone mein." She aimed the gun at each of them one by one and pointed to a corner on the far end, "Jao nahi toh goli chal jayegi." She warned.

Her voice and her hands were shaking, but the determination on her face was not something Naman could mess with. While they all hurried to the corner, Abir didn't waste a second in ushering a limping Mishti out of the shed and locking the door and all of them inside. They needed to run out of sight before Naman and his men could escape to harm them again.

There was a reason Abir called Mishti 'Angry Chorni'. It wasn't because she used to steal stuff, it was because she had the courage, the presence of mind and the brave heart to do what is right, even if it meant going against the morals. By the time someone would take two thoughts before mustering the courage, Mishti would've done and dusted her hands already. And this is why she was different from the rest.

But right now, at this moment, Mishti had fought a lost battle. Not with them, with her own heart. Giving in to her father would mean betraying the love of the family that accepted her, but walking away would mean losing the only thread to her bloodline. It took her every ounce of her strength to walk out from that door, to treat her father like the man he was – a thief, a kidnapper.

And Abir? All he wanted to do was bring her back in his arms. He was painfully aware of every bit of the agony Mishti had been trying to supress inside; not because he was her boyfriend but because he had been through it once. Unfortunately, Mishti had been there for him then but at this moment, he couldn't even offer a hug. He knew he'd lose himself if he did it again.

"Na aapka jaana theek tha," Abir turned around to see pure hatred in her eyes as she whispered with trembling lips, "na aapka aana theek hai."

Abir immediately held her shoulder as she staggered on her retreating steps.

"Badi maa ne dil se sirf pyaar karna sikhaya hai," She whimpered, "lekin aaj dil se I... I hate you papa!"

*******************************

8:15 PM

Abir gently placed Mishti at the fringe of land bordering a pond. The sun had set, and the moonlight reflecting in the water was the only source of light they could see.

Abir sat down near her feet to have a better look at Mishti's wounds. From what little he could see, her right foot had hues of blue while her left foot had dried stains of blood. He turned his face to look at Mishti; anyone in her place would have been howling in pain but Mishti was sitting like a statue. Abir shut his eyes tight, the sight was unbearable for him to digest.