Chapter 2: One Tight Slap

"Nahi... main... kuch galat nahi hone dungi." Kuhu fumbled. "Main Kunal se baat karti hoon." She turned to chachi, "Humari shaadi bhi #SameTime pe hogi. 8 baje." She said and rushed to leave.

"Teri shaadi bhi nahin, Kuhu, sirf teri shaadi."

____________________________

Bade Papa was talking to Abir on the video call. Abir was confused, now that Kunal is also marrying at the same day, it would be unfair if Meenakshi doesn't attend Kunal's wedding because of Abir's demand. Bade Papa asked him to talk to Kunal once and if Abir then feels Meenakshi should attend, bring her.

"Bade Papa," Abir eyes shone with gratitude, "aap ke hote hue mehsoos hi nahi hota ki mere papa nahi hain."

"Kyunki yeh baat hi galat hai. Hum aapke papa hi toh hain!" Vishambar smiled at the screen.

Giving his fatherly guidance and answering whatever Abir was asking, Vishambar was glued to the mobile screen when Mishti ran into his room all excited.

"Bade Papaaa!!" she squealed in delight, "Dekhiye Badi Maa ne apni shaadi ki chunari di hai mujhe! Kaisi lag rahi hoon?" She gleamed in happiness and twirled in front of her Bade Papa to show her Badi Maa's dupatta. She was still in her day gown, but the red dupatta flowing down her head simply made her look like she bride she was about to turn into.

Bade Papa lowered his phone a bit and stared at the princess he raised like a porcelain doll. Abir could see him going through a wave of mixed emotions. He heard Mishti's excited voice over the phone and smiled wholeheartedly - his girl is the happiest Dulhan today and there was nothing more he wanted from his partner sitting up there. He wanted her special day to go with that smile constant on her face, the smile he was still forbidden to see.

"Shaitan ki nani lag rahi hai!" Came Badi Maa's voice from the door, "Ab sandals utha aur jaldi tayyar hone ja. Mere heere ko intezaar karane ka irada hai?"

"Haan obviously!" pat came Mishti's reply. "Aaj toh banta hai, haina Bade Papa?" Mishti winked and laughed at her own reply.

Bade Papa was overwhelmed seeing his Gudiya walking around wearing his wife's most prized possession, her wedding chunari, reminding him that it's time to bid adieu to their daughter, again. He glanced back to the phone to see Abir still on call with a big smile and twinkle in his eyes.

"Aapne uski hansi sunn li hogi, haina?" he asked softly. Abir nodded. "Meri Gudiya hamesha aise hi hansti rehni chahiye, Abir." It was a silent order from a father. A father who was taking the risk of handing over his little heart to someone else. Risk of letting his daughter live in a house where her mother-in-law was a manipulative lady who could go to any lengths to prove herself right. But one reassuring smile from his son was all he needed to take the riskiest step of his life. Because he knew his son would never fail him. Never.

Informing Bade Papa that the baraat would be ready to leave in half an hour, Abir was about to hang up the video call when Mishti's scream paused his fingers. Vishambar looked up from the screen and throwing away his phone, rushed to where Mishti had fallen.

On Mishti's terrifying scream, Badi Maa, Varsha and Kuhu who were just outside the room also rushed in. Bade Papa was immediately beside Mishti on the ground where she had slipped and was holding her ankle.

"Mishti aap theek haina?" Bade Papa asked in worry.

"Mishti!" Badi maa rushed beside her on the ground. "Kaise giri? Pair mein chot aayi hai?" she caressed Mishti's ankle and Mishti winced. "Kanha ji yeh kya ho gaya? Kaha tha tujhe heels pehen ne ki koi zarurat nahi, itni ziddi ho gayi hai tu."