Chapter 29: Abir-Mishti in Danger

"Aaj bahut khaas din hai bhai," He opened his arms for the new man who entered his shed, "hone wale samdhi se pehli baar mile hain!"

"Aap jaisa samdhi paake Naman Agarwal toh dhanya ho gaya!" Naman gleefully hugged him back. "Aaj sahi maayne mein, mere ghar ki Lakshmi ne-" he snapped his fingers, "dhan pradaan kiya hai." He stared at the file with lust in his eyes.

The bullet brushed past his bicep, giving it a deep cut. Abir's heart was in his mouth while Mishti stood frozen at her place. She turned around to see him running up to her with his bloodied arm.

Horror had struck his face as he came close and covered Mishti from the front, keeping a vigilant eye behind her back.

"Tum theek ho?" both asked each other in horror.

Abir checked her from top to bottom, "Aa...are you okay? Tell me damnit!"

In response, Mishti raised his right arm up to her eye level. Abir noticed Mishti's terrified look and stared down to notice his right arm covered in blood.

Fat tears escaped her eyes before she realized it. Abir stared at his Mishti trying to caress his wound with her bare hands, then refraining in fear of hurting him more. His wounded arm was in Mishti's tender hold while he fished out a handkerchief to wipe her tears. Much to his surprise, Mishti snatched his handkerchief and tied it firmly around his arm.

Abir Rajvansh couldn't believe his fate - his angry chorni was tending his wound. There was a time he had endlessly prayed for her to wake up and spare him one look and here she is, shedding tears from those almond eyes, for him. He tightly held his emotions back, fearing if the dam of tears broke down in front of her.

But even though Abir was lost in his lady love, the sudden sense of someone's presence perked his ears in alarm. He keenly glanced in all directions and then turned to the sight of Mishti's face turning white.

Her eyes were fixed at the man standing behind Abir, with a bullet aimed at him. Abir realized pretty quick that they were in danger, and that Mishti could be harmed if he moved even an inch. So, he did what his sharp mind ordered him to. He closed in on Mishti, took the crutch from her and turned around in a swift.

The gun was thrown far off as the man fell on the ground with a thud.

"Isko thikaane lagana padega."

Mishti stared at the unconscious man lying on Abir's lap and cocked her head.
"Tum toh kaafi dangerous-types nikle."

"Madam," Abir held his aching back and sighed dramatically, "iss waqt aapse zyada dangerous koi nahi hai. Jungle ka raja bhi yahan aa jaaye, toh aapko Ambe Maa samajh ke charano mein baith jaaye."

Mishti passed him an icy stare.

Abir rested the man's head under a tree, picked up Mishti's crutch and helped her walk ahead.

"By the way," Mishti turned her head to him, "tum bhi uss chor ke peeche aaye ho na?"

Abir smiled and glanced at her, "haan. Ya phir..." he titled his head, "chorni bhi ho sakti hai."

Abir tried to make the situation sound less tense that it actually was, but in reality, both knew they needed to get out of the jungle immediately. Abir didn't know who and what the gunshot was for and to add to it, he was sick worried for Mishti. Mighty as she may be, walking around in a dangerous place as such with one weak leg could be the worst spot she might have put herself in.