Chapter 28: Attack of the Angry Chorni

"Partner, please help." Abir accelerated his car, "Agar wallet mil gaya... agar tracking-chip experiment kaam kar gaya," he heaved a breath, "it'll be my second achievement for the Police." He wiped his brows, "I can't afford to lose my file. No. Mishti ka sapna..."

The tracking app showed him a red dot indicating the location of the pendant.

The light reflecting from the pendant blinded her for a split second. Mishti picked up the pendant, only to have the strongest sense of déjà vu hit her. No sooner did she catch her reflection in the pendant than she staggered on her feet.

'Yeh jo ladki... samajh lo... poori duniya.... saari problems... chaabi... solve kar sakti hai.'

Mishti held her head.

Abir's heart was beating faster than normal. Restlessness was quite evident on his face as he took a turn towards the highway. The red dot on the tracker app indicated the last traced location of the pendant and thus the thief, and that the chip was slowly going out of range of the app.

"Partner... aisi feeling kyun aa rahi hai," he gulped a lump, "jaise aaj kuch bura, bahut bura hone wala hai?" He accelerated the car, "Mishti, ya uski koi amaanat... main kho jaane nahi dunga." He whispered with determination.

Mishti picked up a log for her defence as soon as she stepped into the forested area. As far as her vision took her, all she could see were trees and trees. The presence of a person running away somewhere ahead the bushes caught her attention and she strode in the same direction.

"Sirji," The thief rushed inside the shed, "koi ek... ek taang wali..." he took a moment to catch his breath, "mall se mera peecha kar rahi thi. Badi mushkil se peecha chhudaya," He placed Mishti's file on the table, "usne... yeh wallet dekha, aur shayad..."

The man turned to face him. If looks could kill, the thief would have been reduced to ashes at one stare.

"SHAYAD KYA?"

"Sh...shayad, yeh file."

The sound of a glass crashing scared the daylights out of him.

*********************

1 hour later

"Aap dono," Vishambar berated a tensed Naira and Kartik, "itne gair-zimmedar KAISE HO SAKTE HAIN?" he raised his voice.

At one end of the couch sat a distressed Rajshree, while on the other end stood Shaurya calling up all the people that had come over to meet Mishti since her return home.

"Bauji," Shaurya approached Vishambar, "sab jagah puch liya, kahin nahi hai. Humein... Humein Abir-Kunal ki madad leni chahiye."

"Koi fayda ni hona hai Shaurya bhaisa," Jasmeet walked in through the door, "ek bhai phone rakhta nahi, dusra phone uthata nahi." She commented. "Abir ghar pe nahi hai, Kuhu ne bataya. Main kehti hoon police ko call kariye."

"Kuch bhi kijiye," Badi maa turned frantic, "Abir ko bulaiye, police ko call kariye... Mujhe meri beti chahiye bas!" She clutched her heart, "Mera jee ghabra raha hai... meri bachhi... kaha hai?"

Tripping over her limping leg for the fifth time, Mishti helplessly wondered where she got herself. She had come so far from the highway road that she eventually lost sight of the path she treaded upon. One hand held her walking crutch while the other held her phone, clutch and the pendant.

With another stumbling step upon a rock, Mishti gave up. Tears rolled down her eyes as she sat down under a tree.

"Kanha ji," Mishti clutched the pendant tighter, "please help me. Na woh chor dikhai de raha hai, na lautne ka rasta." She checked her phone, "Network bhi nahi hai. Call kaise karoon?"