Chapter 30: An Irreparable Damage

"Chhodo mujhe, I SAID LEAVE ME!" Mishti tried to wriggle out of the tight grip two men had on either of her arms as they dragged her all the way to their shed.

"Himmat hai toh haath chhod ke dikhao mera." She gritted her teeth, "Brown belt hoon Karate mein, I swear aaj ek-ek ki haddiya tootegi mere haathon. LEAVE ME."

Her shouts and curses went on deaf ears as they opened the door to their adda, pulled Mishti inside with her broken leg and threw her on the ground. And for the second time in the hour, Mishti was afraid for her life.

She silently wept in affliction.

The men walked off into another room leaving Mishti alone to fight with her fears. And so she did, trying to stand up on her own feet and failing after three attempts. She pushed herself towards the table in front, gripped a corner and finally rose to her feet.

The reward for her efforts turned out to be the file she had come all the way for. Right in the centre of the table sat her file, with the title in letters big and bold - MISHTI RAJVANSH.

When destiny plays the game, even the sharpest players are mere pawns in the hands of the powerful. Mehul Kapadia, the man who thought he could rise from the ashes like a phoenix, forgot that he was going back to the same story that had burnt him down. Mehul stepped inside the same room, only to meet the girl who was going to be the start of his impending doom.

Mishti's gaze caught the sight of a man standing a few feet away. As if someone had knocked the wind out of him, Mehul stared at Mishti in disbelief. Mishti, with one hand gripping the file and the other clutching the fabric of her dress, passed him a suspicious look. Knowing her condition, Mehul carefully observed as she furrowed her brows trying to connect the dots.

The flashes of her forgotten memories had come to disturb her yet again. She furrowed her brows into one as her mind spiralled back to the broken sequences of saving someone from drowning, holding a picture in her hands, a celebration, getting attacked and so on.

"You..." Mishti's heart skipped a beat, "You know me, right?" she managed to utter a question.

Mehul straightened in alarm. His eyes were fixated at the file in Mishti's grip, and that she wasn't letting it go even when she both mentally and physically distressed. Mehul took a step closer when she hurriedly picked up the revolver lying on the desk for her defence.

"STAY AWAY!"

The goons rushed out to find Mishti aiming the loaded gun straight at Mehul. With a trembling hand, she aimed at each of the men to huddle up in a corner and make way for her to escape from the door. The men did as she ordered, for Mishti was just a trigger away from taking someone's life to save her own.

Just when Mishti thought she had reached the doorstep and could escape with her file, her entire childhood walked in to face her, in the form of her father.

Naman Agarwal.

"Please please Badi maa... Papa aayenge. Unhone mujhse promise kiya hai."

Mehul watched them from a distance. Mishti lowered the gun and staggered on her feet. Clutching the file to her heart, she stared at the man in front of her with wide eyes. This time, it wasn't distant images, blurry flashes or the sense of familiarity, it was the little Mishti's story of broken dreams running in front of her eyes.

"Main wait karungi, woh aayenge."

"Koi nahi aane wala."

"Aayenge. Papa aayenge."