Chapter 8: Saathi Re

"Girte waqt Mishti ne jab apna haath badhaya tha," He took slow steps towards her, like a tiger ready to pounce, "tum haath thaam sakti thi." A tear rolled down his eye but his voice was as sharp as steel, "Tum chahti, toh Mishti ki jaan bacha sakti thi."

Kuhu lowered her lashes. All of Abir's words were nothing but true.

He gripped her shoulders tightly, "Lekin tumhari aankhon pe Mishti ke liye nafrat ki patti padi hui hai. Tumhein Mishti kahan se dikhti?" he gritted his teeth.

Kuhu sobbed as Abir released his hold on her and hit his forehead.

"Maine teri... teri love story ke liye apni... apni aur Mishti ki kahani rok di," Abir cried holding his head, "aur tune?" He pointed to the OT, "Yeh kya kiya meri Mishti ke saath?" he choked on his tears. "Jo zakhm... uske jism pe lagein haina aaj, usse kayi zyada... uske... uske dil pe lage hain." he touched his heart. "And badhai ho, hum sab ko!" he clapped his hands and turned around, "Hum sab uss ladki ka dil todne mein barabar ke shareholders hain!" he opened his arms wide indicating the two families.

Badi maa, bade papa, Naanu, Kunal, Meenakshi, all had started to worry for Abir's deteriorating condition. It was definitely a huge blow for Abir seeing his love struggling for life, especially on that one day they were supposed to celebrate the milestone of their love story.

Abir's phone rang. The NGO lady informed him of their arrival with the required blood. Without another word, Abir walked out of the scene.

30 minutes later:

The two families were desperately waiting for results of the many tests conducted on Mishti. The doctor was discussing the case with a reputed senior neurologist, Dr. Patel, who had taken over Mishti's case. After a good amount of torturous waiting, Dr. Patel called Abir, Badi Maa and Bade papa to the cabin while Shaurya followed them. The doctor showed them Mishti's reports.

"Did Mishti Agarwal practice any defence techniques previously? She had a good save from a grave neck or spine injury."

"Mishti karate mein brown belt hai." Abir instantly replied.

"That explains why. Fine, there's not enough time for medical details, so let me get straight to the point." Dr. Patel pointed to the screen, "We have been able to control the internal bleeding and clots have been removed. It's good that the height wasn't much to cause much damage to organs, but it is the three nerves that have been hit that makes her case critical." He stared back at bade papa, "Nerves that control the senses, movement and memory." He affirmed, snatching the earth beneath their feet.

Kunal was tapping his foot in anxiety. Kuhu's heart was sinking with dread. Ketki and Atul stood on either side supporting a crestfallen Naanu. Varsha's eyes were stuck to the door of the doctor's cabin. She stood up in alarm the moment she noticed the door swinging open. Abir and Shaurya walked out of the cabin supporting Vishambar by the shoulder while Badi maa walked behind them with tears in her eyes.

Shaurya and Abir made Vishambar sit on a bench.

"Ky..kya hua bauji ko?" she asked in fear. "Maa? Kya kaha doctor ne?" she held Rajshree's arm.

Badi maa told the family about Dr. Patel advising for another surgery, the chances of success in which lie straight at 50%. Vishambar had just signed a document stating that the doctors and the hospital will not be held responsible in any case if the surgery takes place. There was basically no guarantee if they would ever get their Mishti back like before.

While the doctors were preparing for the surgery, a nurse informed that only two people are allowed to stay back and the rest must leave. Abir requested everyone to get back home. Bade papa immediately resisted the idea of leaving Mishti and didn't budge from his place until Shaurya convinced him to take care of his health for Mishti's sake. Everyone left only after Abir promised to keep both the families informed about Mishti's condition.