Chapter 27: Daring Mishti

Dancing in his thoughts, Abir merrily reached home to share with his Naanu, the most beautiful accidental call of his life. But the smile on his face vanished the moment he found his NGO Didi sitting with Kunal and Meenakshi on the couch.

"Didi?" Abir rushed up to her, "Aapko Champaner mein hona chahiye na?" he glanced at Kunal, "yahan kaise?"

Kunal frowned. "Aapko 'mobile' naam ki cheez pata hai bhai?" his voice dripped of sarcasm, "Kabhi rakh liya karo, apne paas."

Abir furrowed his brows and fished out a phone from his pocket. "Yeh raha. Yeh-" he looked closely at it, "-mera nahi hai." He raised his head in horror, "Phir kiska hai??"

Kunal stood up with a smile and came close to Abir. "My spare phone." He whispered in his ears, "I knew you'd forget to take your phone in the morning, isliye... Ketu slipped this in your pocket."

Abir turned frantic, "Nanko! Isi pe toh maine Kartik ko call kiya aur isi pe-"

He paused the moment he realized his mother was sitting at a well-audible distance.

"Isi pe kya bhai?"

"Kuch nahi." Abir sat in front of the NGO Didi with a frown. "Bataiye, aisa kya urgent kaam aa gaya Rajkot mein?"

As soon as Abir completed his statement, Meenakshi handed over a document to him. Abir read the documents with a worried look on his face.

"Abir," Meenakshi scrunched her nose, "tumne Champaner School Mishti ke naam karne ka faisla kiya... batana toh door ki baat, tumne formalities bhi shaadi se pehle shuru kardi?" Meenakshi asked in disbelief.

Abir raised his head. "Haan. Toh?"

"Toh bhaiyya yeh," Didi replied, "ki ab Local Land Registry mein school Mishti Didi ke naam hai," she said, "aur legal documents aap ne process mein bhej diye. Sirf marriage certificate bhejna baaki tha. Sab wapis laane mein kaafi time lagega and extension land aapke naam tabhi ho payega jab Mishti didi ka sign hoga."

Abir sighed. "Time lagta hai toh lage. There's no other option," he lowered his gaze, "shaadi toh nahi ho sakti."

"Bhai, don't worry." Kunal pressed his shoulder, "We know Mishti's signature is not possible. But maine lawyer se baat kar li hai, he's sending us a legal document which you have to sign, and aapki Didi Local Land Registry mein submit kar dengi." He glanced at Meenakshi, "Maa ki jaan-pehchan ka ek aadmi hai waha, he can help us-"

"I don't need her help." Abir cut him off rudely, "Ask her to stay out of my work."

"Beta meri baat-"

Abir stood up, "Kunal lawyer se kehna documents mere NGO pohocha dein. Aur didi," he turned to her, "aap aa gayi hain yaha toh please NGO ho aaiye. Waha aapki thodi zarurat hai." He said and walked off.

Kartik walked back to Mishti's room after a good talk with Bade papa and Badi maa over doctor's opinions on Mishti's behaviour. He himself was too disturbed with what Bade papa told him about Mishti and the fact that Abir didn't have an ounce of an idea that Mishti hasn't even seen his face post comatose recovery. Had it not been for Mishti's stubbornness to meet Kuhu, Mishti would've not had a whiff about the existence of the Rajvansh family until now. Abir had all the rights to be disappointed with his Badi maa but he didn't even complain.

"Bff?" Mishti called him out from the bed, "Come in."

Kartik briefly glanced at a distressed Naira sitting next to Mishti and walked in. "What's up?"