Chapter 35: Mujhse Dosti Karogi?

After having spent half an hour choosing the right gift from his NGO for which he had driven his car twenty kilometres straight, Abir Rajvansh stood outside the Maheshwari house – hesitant to ring the bell. Bade Papa's affirmation, Mishti's prayers and Badi Maa's plea had put him right between the devil and the deep sea. He couldn't see any way that may lead him to a safe decision.

He stood there contemplating on his decision of landing up outside Mishti's house, until he found the door being opened on him.

Abir stared in wonder at the sight of Badi maa standing with a knowing look on her face.

"Bachhe ghar aate hai toh maa ko pata lag hi jaata hai."

Badi maa softly spoke and made way for him to come inside, but Abir stood rooted to his place. Badi maa welcoming him inside the house was probably the last thing he had expected today, knowing the fact that Mishti was under the same roof.

"Jaanti hoon tum kya soch rahe ho." Badi maa replied to his silent questions, "Maine tumhe beta kaha hai Abir," she came forward and touched his arm, "iss ghar ke, mere bete hone ke saare haq tumhe jatana chahiye. Bas... meri beti..." Badi maa hung her head and joined her hands, "meri beti ko iss sach se door rakho..." her lips quivered, "Mat milo Mishti se."

Vishambar walked into the hall room to be greeted by the sight of Abir and his Badi maa standing at the doorstep.

"Yeh baat... Mishti ko kabhi toh pata lag hi jayegi na?" Abir hesitated, "Kahin aur se pata lage, iss se behtar hoga ki hum khud," he placed a hand on his heart, "usey apne sach se... mujhse... rubaru karwaye."

"Kaisi baat kar rahe ho Abeer!" Badi maa exclaimed in disbelief, "Panic attack ka matlab jaante ho?" she raised her voice a little. "Kal Naman Agarwal se ek baar mil kar, usey apna saara bachpan yaad aa gaya, aaj tumse mil kar agar woh raat..." she stared at him in horror, "us.. uski shaadi thi Abir, meri gudiya rani... doli mein baith kar..." she clutched his arm tightly, "agar woh nahi seh payi toh? Agar maine meri beti dobara kho -"

"Aap apni beti ko itna kamzor kyun samajhti hain Shaurya ki maa?"

Bade Papa walked up to the door and opened it wider for Abir to enter.

"Aapki Gudiya rani kaanch ki Gudiya nahi hai." Vishambar stared at his wife and then turned to Abir, "Humne bulaya hai inhe, hum hi milwayenge dono ko."

Badi Maa shook her head at Vishambar's conviction. She wasn't heartless, she just feared having her heart broken, of having to take any risk that could lead to losing Mishti. She very well knew of Abir's patience and his desperation, but it is better to love from a distance than lose the one you love.

"Maine apni beti ko aise paala hai ke woh har dard se upar uthna jaanti hai. Khair," Vishambar heaved a sigh, "aapse behes hum baad mein karenge." He ushered Abir in. "Lekin yakeen na ho meri baat par toh jaaiye Mishti ke kamre mein. Aapki ziddi beti phir se apne pairon par khade hone ki koshish kar rahi hai."

Badi Maa glanced at her husband in disbelief and dashed upstairs to her daughter's room, leaving the duo alone. Bade papa took Abir in a gentle hug and stayed there for a longer bit. He didn't know how, but he just knew his son needed it. Abir reciprocated with a tighter hug and let a few tears flow.

"Bahut himmat chahiye hoti hai," Bade papa caressed his back and whispered, "jo aap kar rahe ho, uske liye." He pulled him out of the hug and held his shoulders, "Humein aap par naaz tha, hai, aur hamesha rahega."

Abir smiled wearily. He himself had no idea how he would come out clean in front of Mishti and worse, how she may react. His heart was beating faster with every step he took in the direction of her room.