Chapter 21: A Dinner Invitation

"Yaad hai..." she whispered as the nurse injected a medicine in her veins, "Kunal... Naanu... Nidhi, Parul..." she breathed heavily, "A...Abir."

And that was it. Mishti's head rested in an unconscious state in the arms of her Badi maa. Mishti slept peacefully after stealing every bit of Badi maa's peace of mind. The fact that Mishti not only remembered the names of that family but also uttered Abir's name sent shudders down her spine.

And while the nurse adjusted Mishti in a sleeping position on the bed, Bade papa shifted his glance between his wife and his daughter. How helpless he felt, when he realized he had no control over how Mishti would adapt to the realities of her life, that he might not be able to save Mishti from the pain she is inviting in her life. But one thing he knew for sure, there is only person who can stand like a shield between his daughter and her problems - Abir Rajvansh.

******************************************************

Next day:

The table in the balcony was spilled with ten different colours. Brushes spread carelessly, loose papers flying aimlessly and colour bottles left open – Abir couldn't care less of what was happening around him. He lashed out on the blank canvas all his frustration, his impatience and his suffering. Bade papa's conversation in the morning was enough to bring all other thoughts to a halt.

"Mishti ko panic attack aane wala tha."

He threw the colour red.

"Mishti ke dimag pe sirf Kuhu chhayi hai."

He rubbed his fingers on the red paint he had spread on the canvas.

"Kuch karo Abir beta. Lekin aise ki Mishti ko takleef na ho."
Abir stared at the red hue on his fingers and sighed. His mind ran at the speed of a bullet train, and stopped right at Kartik.

Abir immediately washed his hands and dashed to his phone. His finger was one tap away from dialling Kartik's number, but he hesitated. It was as if the nature heard his plea – Kartik himself called him up.

Abir was taken aback to find Kartik calling him. He picked it up in one ring.

"Hey Kartik," Abir started, "Mein tumhe hi-" he suddenly paused. His breath got stuck in his throat when Mishti's voice reached his ears.

"Sach??!!" Abir heard Mishti squealing in happiness, "Thank you Badi maa!"

Abir's heart swelled in joy. He lost the count of weeks he had spent without listening to her melodious voice, the chirpiness in her tone and the liveliness in her words. Mishti's voice was like a soothing balm to his injured heart, he finally felt like he was living.

"Haan meri Gudiya," Badi maa chuckled, "aise hi khush reh bas!"

That is exactly what Abir wanted to say too. He could give up the entire world, if that would bring even one bit of happiness on her face. Abir felt such contentment in a long time, the smile on his face felt genuine after a long time and so did the beats of his heart.

Badi maa, on the other hand, stood in hesitation. Seeing Mishti not ready to move on from the topic of Kuhu and her in-laws, she promised Mishti to make her meet Kuhu's family soon. Mishti was somewhat satisfied, but Badi maa was worried. She recollected the doctor's advice and her husband's words of wisdom, that truth can never be kept under covers for long. But Mishti's truth was pure poison, and Badi maa knows Mishti won't be able to sustain, especially when her mental health is so weak.