Chapter 14: Destiny's Play

Next day
City Street Hospital

"Excuse me, Miss Mishti Agarwal kaha milegi?"

Kartik tapped his foot in impatience, seeing the way the receptionist took her own sweet time in fishing out the information for him. Naira touched his shoulder and shook her head in dismay.

"Ma'am," Kartik tapped the desk, "aap jitna time le rahi haina information dene mein, meri bff utne mein discharge hoke cycle se ghar pohoch jaaye!" he taunted. Naira pulled him back and chided him for his impatience.

The receptionist passed him a weird look. "Unhe kuch der pehle hi ICU se shift kiya hai. Private Ward no. 3, aage se right." She showed them the way.

"That's great progress, Miss Mishti Agarwal!" Dr. Patel passed the reports to Vishambar, "With a little help from the physiotherapist, you'll be up and about, on your own feet!"

"Par mein..." Mishti glanced at her bade papa, "mein abhi kyun nahi chal paa rahi? In fact, mera accident..." she creased her brows, "Aisa kya-"

"Mishti beta," Bade papa stopped her, "doctor aur humne aapse kya kaha tha? Aap inn sab ke baare mein bilkul nahi sochengi. Jo kuch bhi aap bhooli hain wo jald hi yaad aa jayega. Bas aap sabr rakhiye."

Mishti nodded meekly, but they could still see the question mark on her face. She hadn't let go of the questions in her head. Badi maa entered the ward to see Mishti being placed on the bed from her wheelchair.

"Arey wah!" Badi maa plastered a big smile on her face and approached Mishti, "meri Gudiya bahut strong hai, haina Shaurya ke bauji?" she asked and bade papa nodded.

"Beti kiski hai!" Bade papa proudly replied.

Mishti smiled, but the tension lines on her forehead deepened. Badi maa noticed she was deeply thinking, or trying to recollect something. She instantly touched Mishti's cheek and shook her head.

"Nahi, Mishti," Badi maa reprimanded, "mujhse vaada kiya tha na, apne dimaag pe zor nahi dalogi?"

Mishti clutched her hand tightly, "Badi maa, mujhe darr wali feeling aa rahi hai."

"Kaisa darr beta?"

"Mujhe..." Mishti couldn't explain, "mein jaanti hoon, ki mein aap aur bade papa ki hi beti hoon..." she tried to speak clearly. Badi maa nodded. "Lekin, usse pehle... mein jaha se hoon..." she was hesitant, "I mean... mein kaha thi... kaha se..."

Badi maa and bade papa looked at her all confused.

"Tu kehna kya chahti hai Gudiya rani?" badi maa coaxed her, "Aaram se bata."

Mishti was not able to express her thoughts to badi maa. She thought to let it be and simply shook her head. Badi maa kissed her head with concern.

"Achha chhod, mein tere liye ek surprise laayi hoon."

Mishti smiled wholeheartedly for the first time. "Sach? Kahan hai?"

Bade papa stared at her daughter with all the love he could muster, his little angel had finally spread her light with her smile.

Badi maa looked at her phone, "Abhi tak toh aa jaana chahiye tha," she stood up, "mein dekh kar aati hoon kaha reh gaya!" she left the ward.

Dr. Patel handed Bade Papa a list of medicines to be brought for Mishti. He excused himself from the room not before promising Mishti that he shall be back in no time.

"Bhaiiii," Ketki sat frantic on the passenger seat, "dheere!"

Abir increased the speed of his car, "Don't worry Ketu-Suketu, hum hospital jaa rahe hain," he grinned, "tujhe hospital mein bharti nahi honge dunga!"