Chapter 9: Mishti is Back!

"It's been five weeks Mr. & Mrs Maheshwari," Dr. Patel informed, "and no improvement in her state. I had a discussion on her case with our team of neurologists, and we're afraid if she doesn't respond in a week, the possibilities of recovery will drop drastically and even then, her life may not be normal like before."

Rajshree and Vishambar looked at each other. Varsha held Rajshree's shoulder to give her support. Rajshree stared at the doctor with her dull and tired eyes. Five weeks, and the best doctors & specialists in town together couldn't get her daughter to even respond to the treatments.

"Aap bataiye doctor," Shaurya asked, "hum apni taraf se kya kar sakte hain?"

The doctor sighed. "See, the latest brain scanner test shows that Mishti's mind is conscious." He passed her reports to them, "Which means, that the coma patient can feel the environment, and sometimes even listen. Try being positive around her, vibrations do affect the body and mind drastically."

The four stepped out of the doctor's cabin and started to walk up to the ICU where Mishti had been sleeping for the past one month. Rajshree's condition was deteriorating day by day. She had started to eat less, and sleep had left her eyes long back. Vishambar had tried his best to keep up a strong face, but everyone could see that he had lost the spark in his eyes.

Varsha suddenly paused in her tracks. Her eyes were stuck at a girl with curly hair, standing right outside Mishti's room. On seeing her paused, the other three looked at her line of sight.

"Kuhu?" Bade papa furrowed his brows. "Yahan?"

They noticed Kuhu talking to a nurse. Before anyone could do as much as respond, Kuhu left from there without noticing them. Rajshree immediately ran up to the spot but couldn't catch hold of Kuhu. She still caught hold of the nurse.

"Wo ladki... wo andar gayi thi kya?" Rajshree asked sternly.

"Kaun ladki?"

"Wahi jo aapse baat kar rahi thi." Shaurya came up to them.

The nurse raised a brow, "Curly hair wali?" she asked in surprise, "Woh relative haina patient ki? Aati rehti hai iss patient ke baare mein puchne, par kabhi andar jaake milti nahi."

"Aati rehti hai matlab?" Varsha asked, "Kab aati hai? Hum mein se koi na koi hota hai yahan, kabhi kisi ne nahi dekha usse."

The nurse replied almost immediately, "Shayad raat ko aati ho? Kyunki attendants aur nurses ne dekha hai usse yahan."

Abir walked in to the hospital with a shine of hope in his eyes. He was eager to tell Mishti of his new found signs of hope for her recovery. He turned to the corridor that takes him straight to Mishti's room and paused in his tracks. Badi maa was arguing with bade papa and the topic was him.

"Aap samajh lijiye Shaurya ke bauji, hum Abir ko yahan rukne dete hain iska matlab yeh nahi hai ke Abir humse itni badi baat chhupaye." Badi maa raised her voice.

Abir stood away from their sight and listened.

"Shant ho jaiye Shaurya ki maa." Bade papa ordered. "Pehli baat, 'rukne dete hain' ka kya matlab hota hai?" he chided, "Yahan hona Abir ka haq hi nahi, uski zimmedari bhi hai."

Badi maa fumed. "Hum jaante hain, lekin Kuhu ka yahan aana humein bilkul manzoor nahi." She affirmed. "Agar Kuhu itni baar yaha aayi hai, toh Abir ne zaroor dekha hoga." She raised her voice. "Abir se keh dijiye ki Kuhu ko Mishti se door rakhein, warna humse bura koi nahi hoga."

Abir stood from a distance and sighed. Badi maa's words did pinch his heart, but he knew they were simply a mother's cries, a mother who was scared to lose her daughter.