Chapter 5: Twist of Fate

"Jugnu!" Abir called him from the doorsteps of the Maheshwari House, "maine jaise kaha tha, sab ready hua?"

Jugnu teased. "Haan haan, saabbb ho gaya," he raised a brow, "bas Mishti didi ready nahi hui. Abhi abhi Ananya didi se sunke aaya hoon!" He winked. Abir glared at him and Jugnu ran away before Abir could pounce on him.

Abir walked out of the house to check on his planned set-up. Mishti had gone to the extent of having a new mandap, just for a smile on his face. There was no way he was going to get married without giving Mishti all the happiness she deserved.

Abir reached the middle of the aangan. Right in front of him, ten steps away, was the bus. The mandap on the rooftop was waiting for Abir and Mishti. He looked around. Circling him were huge boards of mirrors that he specially ordered in such a short span and had them aesthetically placed in a circumference. All the mirrors had reflections of his reflection, but all he could see was his Mishti in each of them. He smiled and hit his head at his illusions.

Abir wanted Mishti to see herself in these mirrors. He wanted to remind her of what he promised the day he confessed his love to her in the Mandir.

'Life mein jab bhi self-doubt ho na, toh is mein khud ko dekh lena. Saare sawalon ka jawab mil jayega.'

'Haan aur main bhi tumhare saath hi hounga, lekin ek kadam peeche. Taaki jab tum dagmagao, toh main tumhein sahara de sakun.'

Abir smiled at his recollections. He was not only going to take the 7 pheras with her, he was going to repeat all his promises with a promise to fulfil them this time, come what may.

"Wah Abir!" Badi Maa, standing right behind him, couldn't take her eyes off the set-up. "Yeh jagah tumne sirf in sheeshon se itni khubsurat kardi, yakeen nahi hota!" she looked around in admiration, "Sach mein, Mishti ki khushiyon ka koi thikana nahi rahega!" She chuckled.

"Bas yehi toh chahiye!" Abir murmured with a smile. "Mishti ko aaj khud se pyaar ho hi jayega!" he looked around at the mirrors with a gleam in his eyes as Badi maa caressed his cheek.

"Badi maa," Abir's eyes went to an empty corner, "yahan khali-sa nahi lag raha?" he asked. "I think ek aur mirror aa jayega."

"Abirrr!" Badi Maa chuckled, "Bas bhi karo! Jaisa hai, bilkul perfect hai!" she tapped his cheek.

"Shaurya ki maa!" Bade Papa called her from the door, "Aap yaha kyun khadi hai? Chaliye Mishti ko le aaiye, ek toh itna chhota sa mahurat hai, upar se sirf 20 mins bache hain shuru hone ko!" he said in a hurry and Badi Maa went away inside.

Abir looked around for Jugnu, but couldn't find him. He caught sight of another servant and called him out. "Jugnu ko dekha kahin? Mujhe ek aur mirror board chahiye, jaldi se!"

"Bhaiya, Jugnu toh andar hai. Aur baki ke mirrors toot na jaaye isliye usko uss taraf rakh aaye hain." He pointed to the area where Mishti's balcony stands. "Main yeh hawan kund ki samagri pandit ji ko de aaun, phir woh le aata hoon." He said and was about to leave.

"Arey nahi nahi," Abir stopped him, "time kam hai. Tum yaha raho, main woh le aaunga. Jao." He said and shooed him off.

"Mujhe koi farq nahi padta tu kisi se bhi shaadi kare." Kuhu and Mishti's fight didn't seem to end. "#IDon'tCare. Bas main teri shakal aur nahi dekhna chahti." Kuhu argued. "Main kabhi bhi tujhse kuch bhi share karna nahi chahti thi, par mujhe share karna pada... aur maine kiya bhi." She raised her voice, "Itna sab kya kam tha, jo ab main tujhse apna sasural bhi share karun?"

Mishti's face was tear-stricken, but Kuhu didn't have an ounce of sympathy for the girl who was about to get married in a while.

"Tu ne toh apni love story bana di, lekin teri wajah se meri love story toh kabhi aage hi nahi badh payi." Kuhu shot accusations at her.