Chapter 32: A Tough Pill to Swallow

Recap of Chapter 31: Mishti's biological father breaks her daughter's heart as se regains the memory of her traumatic childhood, while Abir realized Naman's ugly intentions and brought her out of the place Naman had tried to kidnap Mishti. In the silence of the night, Mishti let out her emotions to a concerned Abir. And while he tried to lighten the mood, Abir's eyes caught the sight of his gifted mirror pendant hanging around her neck. His belief in the magic of the universe had started to grow stronger with every moment he spent close to his love. 

Abir carried Mishti in his arms right out of the jungle the moment they found help. Bade papa and Kunal had come to Mishti and Abir's aid and Bade papa on finding them being together had nothing but a heart full of blessings for the man that always managed to be there to protect his daughter.

Chapter 32: A Tough Pill to Swallow

"Ah!"

"Ouch!"

"Ssss!"

Nobody dared speak a word. Mishti gulped in fear as Badi maa poured a few more drops of the antiseptic onto the cotton and dabbed it on her wounds.

"Shaurya ki maa, zara aaram se kijiye," Bade papa mustered the courage to come forward and touch her shoulder, "Mishti ko takleef-"

"Humein jo dard ho raha hai, uska kya?"

Badi maa's words shut her husband up. Mishti placed her foot aside to gain her attention.

"I'm sorry," Mishti pulled her ears, "I'll never do this again."

"Karne dungi bhi nahi." Badi maa stood on her knees and held Mishti's arms, "Agar mann-maani ki toh kk..kamre mein band kar dungi." She pointed a trembling finger at Mishti, "Mujh..se.. door jaane ka socha bhi na, toh maar-maar ke tere g-gaal... laal..." She showed her palm with a threatening look as tears streamed down her face. "Tu... tu bina bataye kahin nahi jayegi, SAMJHI?"

Mishti nodded. Bade papa held Badi Maa by the shoulders and sat her down to console. They still hadn't broken the news of Mishti regaining her childhood memories. Bade Papa realised he had to cautiously handle his wife and Mishti. Asking the nurse and Naira to take Mishti to her room, Bade Papa ushered Badi Maa to their room to tell her about the incident.

"Bhai?" Kunal shook his brother out of his reverie, "Are you... okay?"

Abir smiled with a twinkle in his eyes. "Never felt better!"

Kunal shook his head at his lovestruck brother. The swelling at the scruff of his neck had been turning blue, but all he had was a stupid grin on his face. That is what love does to one maybe, Kunal thought. Abir always had to pay a heavy price before he could savour the little bits of happiness. There wasn't much Abir wanted from life, for even his biggest treasure was just a simple girl who loved him more than anyone else.

"Abeer!" Nidhi Mami hurriedly climbed up the steps, "Thank Gods tum mil gaye. Kunal ne tumhe aur Misti ko where-where nahi dhunda?" She touched the bandage on his muscle and hissed. 

"Oh my mothers! Tum teen ghante se highway pe kya kar rahe the?"

"Chane bech raha tha."

Nidhi Mami passed Abir a stink eye and sat next to Kunal as he told her how they found Abir and Mishti in the jungle.

Abir's lips curved into a wider smile. Mishti's face under the moonlight, the pendant hanging around her neck and the feeling of having her back in his arms after what felt like ages had been nothing but pure bliss for Abir. He would have stayed lost in his dreamland until time immemorial, had Kunal not placed an ice-pack on his wounded arm.