Chapter 7: Truth Bombs

Chapter 7:  Truth Bombs

"Mishti...kab tak..theek hogi?" Abir asked hesitantly.

"We can't say. Bahut mushkil se bleeding rok paaye hain. Just hope she starts responding soon." He patted Abir's shoulder and left.

"Respond... nahi kar rahi?" Abir questioned himself in horror and staggered on his feet.

Mishti's unconscious face wrapped in white came in front of his vision. Fresh tears rolled down his eyes. To add to his misery, a nurse came out and handed him Mishti's bridal dress and jewellery in a plastic. The pink lehenga reminded him of Mishti's blushing cheeks and the shining jewellery reminded him of her twinkling eyes. He clutched her belongings to his heart.

"Mishti Agarwal ke belongings police ko handover kar dijiye." Came a voice from behind.

Abir looked up to find Kunal and Kuhu standing in front of him. They had to come back halfway. Behind them stood four men in police uniform. Kunal held a tensed face while Kuhu trembled in fear.

A police-woman came up to Abir and took Mishti's belongings from him.

"Mishti Agarwal ke parents kaun hai?" a senior officer stood among the family. Shaurya pointed to his parents holding each other for support.

"Humein khabar mili hai ki aapki beti ka accident nahi hua tha." The officer walked up to them, "Aaj kisi pe attempt-to-murder ke charges lagne wale hain." He waited for them to react, but Vishambar and Rajshree were completely drowned in their misery. "Kya aap dono wahan scene pe maujud the, jab yeh hua?"

The entire family looked at Vishambar and Rajshree with bated breaths. Vishambar was not in a condition to speak while Rajshree stood with a stoic expression. Kuhu's hands were shaking in dread. She looked at her parents, her dada and dadi with a hope that they will not punish her this way. Abir, lost in his thoughts, was not even looking at the scene. The family believed it to be some guest that informed the police about Mishti's accident.

Seeing no family member respond, the police officer spoke again.

"Theek hai. Kuhu Maheshwari kaun hai?" he called out, snatching the earth beneath Kuhu's feet.

Kuhu never wanted her Abir Bro beside her as much as she wanted him at this moment. She wanted to beg him for forgiveness but he didn't even glance her way. Abir was staring into the dark sky with a blank look on his face.

"Mm..main hoon." Kuhu whispered. Varsha looked at her daughter with fear in her eyes. She surely wanted Kuhu to repent for her mistakes, go through the punishment she deserved, but never did she want to see a day where her daughter will be found in jail.

"Ms. Kuhu Maheshwari," the inspector took slow steps towards her, "or should it be Mrs. now?" he asked. Kuhu held her mother's arm in fear.

"I asked," the inspector said rudely, "Miss, or Mrs?"

"Mrs." Kuhu stammered. "Ku...Kuhu Rr..Rajvansh."

"Wonderful!" the inspector smiled. "Apne crime se pehle apni shaadi nipta li. Very smart. Sasural na sahi, at least lockup mein toh aap Rajvansh bahu bann ke reh hi sakti hain."

The entire Maheshwari and Rajvansh family stood distraught at his words. Kuhu hid behind her mom and cried.

Varsha walked up to Bade papa and joined her hands. "Please, bauji," Varsha's hands were trembling. "ek ehsan kar dijiye mujh par, please!" she cried.

Bade papa gulped a lump and approached the police.

"Inspector sahab, hum iss waqt bahut pareshan hain. Jo bhi hua, accident tha, aur iss baat ko hum apne parivaar tak seemit rakhna chahte hain. Aap -"