Chapter 6: Blood Relations

"In all this wild world, there is no more desperate creature than a human being on the verge of losing love."  - Atticus

Chapter 6: Blood Relations

"Bhai!" Kunal's cracked voice rung in his ears. "Mishti ko doctor ki zarurat hai. Please!"

In the blink of an eye, Abir had removed his pagdi. Shouting at Kunal to get the car, he tied it firmly around Mishti's wound on the head, picked her up and sprinted to the car.

Kunal drove the car at twice the normal speed. Shaurya uncle sat beside him while Abir and Mishti had occupied the backseat, with Mishti's head in Abir's lap.

"Mishti... tum sunn rahi ho na? Kuch nahi hoga tumhe." Abir kissed her head every now and then. Tears kept on rolling down his cheeks. He was trying to comfort himself more than her with his own words. "Utho na Mishti, aise mujhe kab tak tang karti rahogi?"

Shaurya's heart sank seeing Abir's devastated state. Kunal didn't need to look at his bhai to know what he was going through.

"Aa...aaj hum...humari shaadi hai, Mishti. Humari... life...ka bb...best day. Mahino se iss din..." he wiped his tears, "iss din ka wait kiya hai." Abir tried reasoning with the unconscious body in his lap. "Achha theek hai, mujhe kabhi aur dara dena tum. Utho yaar, p...please!" he choked on his voice.

"Please Mishti, main marr jaunga!"

In less than five minutes, Kunal drove through the gates of the nearest hospital. Before anyone could bring a stretcher to the car, Abir ran inside the hospital with Mishti in his arms.

Abir laid her on a stretcher and shouted for a doctor. Seeing Mishti's injury on the head, the doctor immediately asked for her to be shifted to the Operation Theatre.

Abir had taken the entire hospital on his head. He wasn't letting go of Mishti's hand and the staff couldn't let him inside the OT. Kunal and Shaurya had to use all their might to pull Abir away from the stretcher. The door of the OT slammed shut on his face.

Kunal ran to complete the paperwork. Bade Papa, Badi Maa, Varsha followed by the entire Maheshwari and Rajvansh family reached the hospital at the same time. Abir paced around the door with his heart in his mouth. His hands were red, just like his sherwani was covered with Mishti's blood. The family's heart wrenched at Abir's miserable condition. They could only think of what Mishti was going through on the other side of the door.

An attendant rushed out of the OT and walked past Abir. The family tried to stop him to know about Mishti's condition but he dashed inside the room with a bundle of cotton and equipment. Abir's heart sank. The family was panicking with very passing second, but Abir simply went and stood near the window, staring into the dark night.

Trying not to break down for his son, Badi Maa wiped her tears and went to Abir.

"Abir," she touched his shoulder with her fragile hands, "Humari Mi...Mishti bohot... bohot strong hai." She paused. "Woh-"

"-thak chuki hai, badi maa." Abir replied, still staring into the night. "Mein mehsus kar sakta hoon." A tear rolled down his eye. "Kismat jab dhakka deti hai, toh chot lagti hai. Uss chot par baar baar koi namak lagaye, toh chot zakhm ban jaata hai."

His words left the two families dumbstruck. They were brutally reminded of every time they ridiculed or let Mishti get ridiculed for her past. For all the times they blamed Mishti, for all the times they kept quiet when Mishti bore the brunt of the world's accusations and prejudices. Bade Papa hung his head in shame, he protected his little daughter from the entire world, but couldn't manage to save her from his own family.