Chapter 20: Little Revelations

Abir twisted the handle of the door and stepped in to a pitch-dark house. It was just 9:30 in the night, he furrowed his brows, and he doesn't remember the last time people in the Rajvansh Sadan slept off so early.

Adjusting his shoulder bag, Abir stepped inside hesitantly. The light from the diyas illuminating inside the mandir to his left caught his attention. And so did the mother sleeping at its steps.

"Parul Masi?"

Parul raised her head. She wasn't sure if it was really Abir or if her ears tricked her again.

Abir was worried seeing her resting on the temple steps. "Masi?" he asked louder this time.

Parul shot up from the ground and turned in a swift. Tears cascaded down her cheeks as she shouted her lungs out.

"BEN BAA!" Parul shouted, "KUNAL! DEKHO ABIR LAUT AAYA!"

Parul was smiling ear to ear despite the tears. Abir's eyes softened at her desperation. However much she be called a shadow of his mother, the love in her heart could never be compared to anyone else's. Parul ran up to Abir and kissed his forehead.

Kunal, Naanu, Meenakshi, everyone started to come out of the room slowly listening to Parul's shout. The moment Jugnu turned the lights on, Abir looked around and up to notice the shocked faces of his family. In a lightning speed, all of them rushed down to him. Kunal, with tears in his eyes, launched himself on his elder brother and hugged the life out of him.

"Bhai!" Kunal sobbed on his collar, "I'm sorry!" he hugged him tighter, "Please humein chhod ke mat jaana!"

Abir caressed his back.

"Abir!" Naanu took slow steps towards him, "Mera naati laut aaya Koshlu!" Naanu caressed Abir cheek with trembling hands, "Mujhe pata tha, apne...apne budhe Naana ko aise nahi chhodega... nahi chhodega na?"

Abir took Naanu's hands in his and shook his head. "Aap..." tears fell down his eyes, "aap kabse budhe hone lage?" he grinned. "Abhi toh Katrina bhi single hai!"

"Tere jaate hi mera budhapa laut aaya Abir..." his vulnerable Naanu was not in the sense to crack any jokes, "Agar iss baar tu wapis nahi aata, toh tera naana jee nahi pata!"

"Bapuji?" Meenakshi exclaimed in horror.

Abir was flooded with overwhelming emotions. He rubbed his tears vigorously and passed them a bright smile.

"Arey Naanu, marey aapke dushman!" Abir hugged him tight, "Abhi toh aap jawaan hain! Aur waise bhi," he broke the hug and glanced at his mother, "abhi toh bahut saari baziyan khelni hai!"

"Matlab?"

Abir jumped in between Kunal and Naanu and held them by the shoulder. "I mean, aap dono ne promise kiya tha... ki jab mujhe kisi se pyaar hoga, aap dono mere love letters post karoge." He raised a brow, "Bhool gaye kya?!!"

The entire family stared at him with a blank look.

"Love letter?" Kaushal exclaimed, "Yeh tu kya bol raha hai Abir?" he asked in wonder. "Tujhe malum haina Mish-"

"Kaun Mishti?" Abir cut him off with a hesitant smile, "Main kisi Mishti ko nahi jaanta."

Meenakshi furrowed her brows at his behaviour while the entire family stood agape.

Abir walked up to the other end of the hall.
"Kuhu?" he called her out from a corner.

Kuhu straightened in alarm. The entire family's attention was suddenly on her now.