Chapter 23: Meeting the Rajvanshs

Away from their sight, Abir leaned himself on a pillar catching his uneven breath and racing heart. He was not ready to face her like this. Not at all.

Abir touched his hair as fresh tears rolled down his eyes, "Mishti..." he bit his lip and smiled ear-to-ear, "Meri Mishti hai woh!" He chuckled and wiped his tears.

"Meri angry, violent Chorni!" 

*************************************

"Arey wah Mishti," Jasmeet chirped, "tune toh aaj walking stick ko hockey stick bana ke chhake maar diye!"

Varsha and Badi Maa made Mishti comfortable on the couch as the nurse ran to fetch first aid. The entire family hovered around Mishti to check on her.

Mishti giggled, "Nice one, Jasmeet aunt- AAH!"

Mishti groaned in pain as Badi maa softly removed her shoes. Her right foot had swollen because of the stunt she had pulled up in the market.

"Yeh dekhiye Shaurya ke bauji," Badi Maa caressed the foot tenderly, "aur bhejiye Mishti ko akele!" she taunted. "Pata nahi yaha meri baat koi sunta kyun nahi!" she whispered in distress.

Mishti caressed her shoulder and shook her head, "I'm fine, Badi maa." She pulled her feet back, "Aur Naira Di ka jewellery bag bhi bach gaya."

"Bhaad mein jaaye gehne," Kartik came forward with an ice-pack, "Tujhe kuch ho jaata toh?"

Naira passed Mishti another disappointed look.

Mishti heaved a sigh. "Nahi hota. Maine soch-samajh ke nishana lagaya."

"Aur apne pairon ka zara bhi nahi socha, haina?" Badi maa gave her a look.

Mishti looked at her Bade papa for help. Bade papa walked up to her and caressed her head.

"Aap sach mein theek hain?" he asked in concern.

Mishti nodded.

"Theek hai naanu, lekin hoti nahin," Naira intervened, passing another disapproved look her way, "agar uss bande ne Mishti ko sambhala nahi hota!"

Bade papa creased his brows. "Kaun?"

"Pata nahin." Naira shrugged, "Woh bas gayab hogaya. Hum thanks bhi nahi bol paaye." She glanced at Mishti.

Mishti's mind spiralled back to the point where the thief had pushed her into the arms of a familiar stranger. The touch, the tall physique, the long and silky hair and those eyes she could catch just one glimpse of – every single vibe from that man brought a feeling of safety to her heart. Her heart was doing somersaults but her mind was absolutely clueless. And even though she tried to think hard if she knew the man from her past, there was not an ounce of panic she felt. It was as if her heart had found peace.

"Bhagwan bhala kare uss insaan ka," Badi maa sighed in relief, "nahi toh pata nahin kaisi anhoni ho jaati." She glanced at her husband in worry.

"Haan Badi maa..." Mishti whispered in a trance, "usne mujhe bachaya."

Everyone noticed her lost in her thoughts.

"Kisne beta?" Bade papa caressed her head, breaking her trance. "Tu jaanti hai kya usse?"

Mishti paused thoughtfully. "Nahi..." She stared at nothing, "Pata nahin... Lekin..."

The entire family waited for her to continue. Mishti shook her head lightly and shrugged. "Kuch nahi."