Chapter 17: A Familiar Stranger

"Sab..." Mishti murmured, "chale gaye, tum bhi... chale jaoge?"

Abir's heart skipped a beat. He almost thought she had recognized him, but then he noticed she was still asleep. The dam in his eyes broke as tears streamed down Abir's eyes and fell on their hold. Sensing some wetness on her palms, Mishti's sleep got disturbed. She tried very hard to flutter her eyes open, but the effect of the sedatives made it difficult for her to wake up fully and gain control of her surroundings. Abir quickly used this time in his favour and removed his hand from her tight grip. He took a last, longing glance before he turned to leave.

"Ahh!"

Mishti's painful groan paused him in his tracks. He turned to see Mishti trying to lift her injured hand up in his direction. Before he could react, the nurse held Mishti's hand and placed it back on the bed.

"Kk..kaun hai?"

Abir's heart skipped a beat. Six weeks. Six weeks of his collected self-control turned into dust the moment he heard Mishti's voice. He realized Mishti had woken up and had sensed his presence. There was no way he and his huge shoulder bag could escape the room without Mishti's knowledge.

The nurse stood in alarm, watching Abir running and hiding behind the long curtains near the door. Abir signalled her to pay attention to Mishti.

"Ma'am, koi.. koi nahi hai." The nurse blocked her vision to the curtains, "Mein routine check ke liye aayi hoon." She touched the machine and noted some numbers in a notepad. "Aap kaisa feel kar rahi hai?"

Mishti didn't reply. She simply stared at the drying water droplets on her knuckles and furrowed her brows. Abir watched as the nurse helped Mishti sit up on the bed.

"Koi..." Mishti looked around confused, "koi bhi nahi hai?"

The nurse glanced back hesitantly. "Woh... actually... hh..hai."

"Kaun?" Mishti asked meekly.

"Aapki mother?" the nurse blurted, "Yahin hongi. Aa jayegi." She smiled at a dissatisfied Mishti.

Abir was keenly observing Mishti from his place of hiding. He was well aware of her muddled thought process from the look on her face. His legs itched to walk up to her and comfort her disturbed state of mind, but he knew his presence would rather disturb her more.

"Toh Badi maa thi yaha." Mishti sighed, wiping the teardrops off her knuckles. She glanced at the nurse and said in a low voice, "Mein thodi der akele rehna chahti hoon." The nurse sent her a puzzled look. "Please?"

The nurse glanced back at the curtains for a brief moment and nodded hesitantly. She picked up her notepad and exited from the door, not before passing a glance at Abir.

Mishti was too surrounded by her thoughts to notice the nurse or her unusual behaviour, let alone Abir's presence. Abir watched her from far, the way his stubborn girl was stressing her mind right after a gruesome accident. He desperately wished for some family member to enter and wander her mind off the thoughts that are putting her in such distress. At the same time, he wanted to know what was running in her mind. He would have, sooner or later, had his Badi Maa not pleaded him to stay away from Mishti.