Chapter 3: Mishti's Unforgettable Surprise

The baraat entered the gates of Maheshwari Sadan with all pomp and glory. Naanu, Parul Masi, Kaushal, Nidhi Mami, Atul, Ketki, Jugnu and many other guests were dancing their hearts out. Abir and Kunal's ghodi followed the procession and stopped right outside the steps of Maheshwari House, before the family. Abir and Kunal stepped down their horses and touched the feet of Vishambar and Shaurya. Vishambar gave Abir a tight hug which was warmly reciprocated.

The next thing he knew, his eyes went straight up to Mishti's balcony. Only to find it empty.

"Beta," Bade Papa patted his shoulder, "ab toh roz hi dekhne milegi Mishti aapko. Ab toh balcony ko taakna band kar dijiye!"

The whole crowd burst into laughter. Abir was embarrassed to bits, "Nahi, bas... aise hi," he held his bade papa's hand longer, "Mishti ki wajah se aap mile mujhe. Aaj aapki wajah se main ek bada decision le paya hoon." Abir spoke with some sudden seriousness in his tone.

Everyone looked at him in confusion except Vishambar. He nodded at Abir who then walked up to the gates of the mansion and brought his mother along.

To say that Kunal was shocked would be an understatement. Even after knowing all that Meenakshi did to separate him and Mishti, Abir was here, bringing his mother to the wedding. For him. He knew.

Whatever made him think less of his bhai's capabilities, he shook his head in disbelief.

"Main... purane sawalon mein ghira hua... nayi zindagi nahi shuru karna chahta tha. Jaise hamesha Mishti ko sikhaya hai, Bade Papa ne apne bete ko bhi samjhaya," he looked at his Vishambar with hopeful eyes, "ki agar mujhe kuch sahi nahi lagta, toh mujhe usey sahi kar dena chahiye. Maa Kunal ki shaadi mein nahi hogi toh woh Kunal ke saath galat hoga," he hesitated, "aur... Ma agar meri shaadi mein nahi hogi toh woh Ma ke saath galat hoga."

Abir giving his mother a smile and a side hug relieved every single person off the tensed environment. Kunal was on cloud nine seeing his two precious people on the same side. He hugged them fiercely and ordered the dholwalas to beat the drums. The atmosphere turned just as lively as before. Everyone was happy, but Abir was ecstatic. He was dying to get one glimpse of his Angry Chorni in her wedding lehenga. More than that, he wanted to see if she was okay. His eyes hardly paid attention to the ritual Kunal was performing. His eyes were roaming inside the house already.

As if sensing his wishes, Mishti walked into the balcony to get a glimpse of his would-be husband. Life had been one roller-coaster ride since he gate-crashed into her life. And she is simply thankful to his partner that he did.

Abir didn't take a second to sense her presence. But before the poor boy in love could get one glimpse of his lady, Badi Maa pulled his nose and completed the very first ritual. Abir was brought to reality as he stared at Badi ma agape. Badi Maa and others laughed at his pitiable state.

"Baap re. Dekho toh humare jamai-sa ko!" Badi Maa teased, "Ankhein tik nahi rahi ek jagah!" she said and the entire family laughed. Abir turned shy and lowered his lashes. As per the rituals, Abir walked in after touching his forehead with the neem leaves, a tradition that is believed to ward off any evil eye on the relationships that will be made along with the union of two people.

Mishti was standing in her balcony to get a breath of relief from Kuhu's death stares. She couldn't keep her calm knowing Abir was finally here, at her home, for her. She wanted to run into his arms. She knew Abir had his heart on the Mandap that they decorated in the morning, but then the day had been too long and a lot had happened already. The gleam in Abir's eyes in the morning when they were setting up their mandap was gone the moment she agreed to share their mandap with Kuhu and Kunal. She wanted the same shine back in his eyes.