Chapter 10: Meenakshi's Ploy

City Street Hospital
7 A.M.

"Sorry doctor, Abir ne bataya tha tests mein waqt lagega-" Bade papa turned back to look at his entire family sitting with bated breaths, "-lekin humse ruka nahi gaya. Koi bhi raat ko so nahi paaya." he said and sighed. "Mishti kaisi hai?"

Dr. Patel passed him Mishti reports with a smile. "Mr. Maheshwari, I'm glad to say this, Mishti has fared well in all her tests. To put it in the simplest of words, patient is on the fastest stage to recovery and should be conscious in the next twelve hours."

The doctor went on to explain how patiently a recovered coma patient must be dealt with. Badi maa sent a thankful prayer above. The smile hadn't left Abir's face since the time the doctor broke the news of Mishti recovering from comatose state. Except for Jasmeet, all went inside the ICU to take a good look at a recovering Mishti. The aura with which they entered the room this time was simply different and more positive, for they knew Mishti will put an end to their torture very soon.

Naanu, Masi and Kunal also landed up at the same time. Kunal carried boxes of mithai with him and in no time, the entire hospital was aware of Mishti's recovery. An over-excited Kunal and Abir went around giving mithai to every person they found in their way, while Naanu and Masi went to visit Mishti.

"Arey Gadhera, thodi mithai humein bhi dede!" Naanu stopped Abir hopping around the corridor.

"Sorry Naanu," Kunal intervened, "itna meetha, not good for you."

"O Gadhera ka bhai," Naanu pulled his ears, "yeh hospital hai. Laaya hi tha, toh sabke liye sugar-free le aata na!"

Kunal frowned. "Naanu, sugar free chahiye toh Kuhu ko-"
He paused. Nobody in the past month had openly taken Kuhu's name. Abir pressed his shoulder as he smiled lightly.

"Naanu, ghar pe aapke liye sugar-free mithai main khud banaunga!" Abir said proudly.

And while Kunal, Naanu and Masi were discussing over preparing for Mishti's comeback, Abir's attention went to the sight of Badi maa and Bade papa standing with Dr. Patel. He excused himself and went up to them.

"I hope you understood. Please keep the families mentally prepared for the repercussions of the surgery and coma, though we will try our best to get her normal life back." Dr. Patel informed them and left. Bade papa held Badi maa's shoulder to give her strength.

"Chinta mat kijiye, Shaurya ki maa." Bade papa passed her a smile, "Aaj tak har mushkil se ladte aur jeet-te aaye hain, unke saamne yeh kuch bhi nahin!"

"Kaunsi mushkil, bade papa?" Abir asked from behind.

Badi maa and bade papa turned in alarm.

"Uh, woh..." Bade papa hesitated, "Doctor sahab keh rahe the ki coma se recovery ke kuch... side-effects... ho sakte hain," he glanced at badi maa, "uske liye hum tayyar rahein."

Abir furrowed his brows. "Kaise side-effects?"

Bade papa was about to reply when badi maa held his arm tight.

"Chinta ki baat nahin beta, bas weakness, stress wagera..." Badi maa caressed Abir's cheek, "mere heere ke hote huye meri Gudiya ko kuch ho hi nahi sakta!" she glanced briefly at her husband who understood her intentions.

Abir held Badi maa's hand in his. "I promise, badi maa, mein Mishti ke saath hi hoon. Uski koi bhi ladai sirf uski nahi, meri bhi hai."

***********************************

Abir was sent home on Badi maa and Bade papa's insistence, for he hadn't blinked an eye the entire night. Sleep was evident in his eyes, and he wanted to do anything but sleep. Mishti had slept quite enough to compensate for everybody's sleepless nights, and this was the time to plan a party for Mishti's recovery and comeback. But there was one person who wasn't allowed to express her happiness openly like others – Kuhu.