Chapter 19: Building Hopes

"Mishti," Varsha heaved a sigh and held Mishti's hand firmly, "Agar koi baat tere uss waqt se judi ho, jo tu bhool chuki hai... kya tu taiyyar hai sunne ko?"

Mishti paused. After a moment of thought, Mishti composed herself for what was to come and nodded slightly, but with confidence. Varsha heaved a loud breath.

"Kuhu ki shaadi ho chuki hai." 

Abir had sent a little prayer above. He needed his partner's help again, for his partner was now the only person who could solve the conflict between his heart and mind. No sooner did he complete whispering a prayer than he noticed a balloon flying up in the air.

Abir stared at the balloon in wonder. Then he laid his eyes on the little children running around on the ground, each with a heart-shaped balloon in their hands. The kids were running around with the balloons; chirping, giggling, playing. Abir stood rooted to his feet, staring at the sight with his mouth open.

"Suno bachha?" Abir walked ahead and stopped a little girl, "Aap sabko yeh balloons... kisne diye?"

The little girl gave him a big smile and with her little hands, pointed to a man standing at the gates of the Champaner School, buying balloons for kids.

"Woh bhaiyya."

Abir strode up to the gates. Before Abir could call out the man, he turned and revealed himself, shocking the wits out of Abir.

"Aa...aap?" Abir furrowed his brows. "Yahan?"

The man passed him a hesitant smile. Walking up to Abir, he fished out his hand.

"Humein kaafi pehle mil lena chahiye tha. Hi, I'm Kartik Goenka." He smiled, "Mishti ka BFF."

Abir smiled back warmly, but the question mark on his face was still evident. He welcomed Kartik inside his school.

"Umm... hi!" Abir hesitantly started the conversation, "Mishti ne bataya tha, aapke baare mein."

"Bataya toh Mishti ne tumhare baare mein bhi tha," Kartik replied, walking beside Abir, "aur yeh bhi ke tumhi ne uska dil tod diya tha." He added.

Abir paused in his tracks. He glanced back at Kartik but failed to meet his eyes. Kartik softened seeing the guilt creep up in Abir's eyes and touched his shoulder.

"Mein tumhe taana marne nahi aaya hoon. I'm sorry." Kartik spoke up, "Tumhe bolne ka koi haq nahi hai mujhe," he said and Abir shook his head, "toda to Naira aur maine bhi hai, Mishti ka dil... usse kiye hue kayi vaade... aur usne toh kabhi humse shikayat bhi nahi ki." Kartik said and hung his head.

Abir creased his brows at Kartik's statement.

"Maa?" Varsha noticed Badi maa sitting on a bench outside Mishti's ward. Badi maa hastily wiped her tears away.

Varsha sat down next to her and heaved a breath.

"Maine Mishti ko sab bata diya."

Badi maa jumped on her feet. Varsha observed Badi maa staring at her in horror.

"Kk..kya... kya bata diya?" Badi maa's voice trembled.

Varsha stood up and held Badi maa by the shoulder. "Maine Mishti ko bas itna bataya ki... Kuhu ki shaadi ho chuki hai."

"KYA?" Badi maa shouted.

Varsha made Badi maa sit down on the bench.

"Maa, aapne hi toh kaha na, Mishti zid nahi chhodegi." She touched Badi maa's shoulder, "Maine yeh isi liye bataya, taaki Mishti kal ghar aane pe Kuhu se milne ki ummeed na rakhe."