Chapter 22: A Striking Encounter

Leaving his Naanu inside the room, Abir walked out in a trance. There was a different sparkle in his eyes, and the smile refused to leave his face even after stubbing his toe against the table edge. All of Naanu's words thereafter had fallen deaf on his ears, the moment he told him about Mishti.

"Mishti humse milna chahti hai Abir!"

Abir's heart fluttered at the mere thought. A soft smile had struck his face as he leisurely walked down the steps in his happy bubble. Mishti wanted to meet his family. Tears glistened his eyes as he noticed the busy atmosphere in the hall of his mansion; Mishti may have forgotten this family, but her heart knows them very well.

"Yeh ladki," Abir chuckled to himself, "maine kaha tha na, jab tak isse sab kuch yaad nahi aa jaata, chain se nahi baithne wali!" he shook his head.

Parul Masi noticed Abir standing in the middle of the staircase with a stupid grin on his face.

"Abeer!" She called him out hastily, "Achha hua tum uth gaye. Idhar aao!"

Abir walked down to her, "Ji masi?"

Parul handed him one of the three long lists she had with her. "Dekho baaki saaman toh main Jugnu ko bol ke mangwa lungi, lekin gifts tumhein hi kharid ke laana hoga."

Abir stared at the list in surprise.

"Nidhi Mami ne harr sadasya ke hisab se gifts likhe hain," Parul continued, "agar tumhein kuch galat lage toh badal dena." She said and was about to walk off when Abir held her back.

"Ekk minute!" Abir chuckled, "Itni badi-badi gifts!" he pulled the other lists from her hand and read out, "Badam, kaju, gulab ka ittr... yeh sab kya hai masi??" he asked in disbelief.

"Kya kya hai?" Parul shrugged, "Bapuji ne bataya nahi?" she grinned, "Aaj Mishti ke ghar jaa rahe hain!"

"Haan toh dinner ke liye jaa rahe hain," Abir chuckled, "rishta leke nahin!"

Parul smacked his head lightly. "Badmash! Baadam-kaju tohfa nahi hai," she smiled, "Mishti ke liye uski mann pasand mithai banani hai. Tum nahi samjhoge. Jaao aur jaldi le aao!" she scolded him.

Abir nodded and turned back.

"Aur Abir..." Parul stopped him, "Woh... sabko lagta hai..." she glanced round and hesitated, "Kuhu ko nahi aana chahiye."

The smile on Abir's face dimmed.

Parul came forward, "Rajshree ji ab bhi nafrat karti hai Kuhu se." she said, "Aise mein kya Kuhu ko le jaana sahi hoga?"

"Masi," Abir held her hand, "Agar Kuhu apni family se nahi milegi, toh yeh nafrat kabhi khatam nahi hogi." He reasoned. "Iss nafrat ne kayi rishton ko daav pe laga rakha hai..." he creased his brows in worry, "Kuhu aur Badi maa, Kuhu aur Kunal, Mishti aur Kuhu..." he trailed off.

Parul nodded her head in realization. Abir passed her a sad smile and turned to leave.

"Abir," Parul asked carefully, "kya tum... Mishti se milne ko taiyyar ho?"

Abir paused in his tracks. A shudder ran down his spine as he realized the depth of her words.

He was not ready to meet her. Not at all.

With the help of her nurse, Mishti stepped out of her room using her walking crutch for her right leg that was still weak. Kartik noticed Mishti walking out of her room and ran upstairs.