Chapter 13: A Shocker for the Rajvanshs

'Mumma, Papa, please mujhe chhod ke mat jao!'

'Chor ki beti!'

'Mishti, kya hum aapke bade papa bann sakte hain?'

'Tu sirf ek charity case hai.'

Mishti writhed in pain. Flashes of the time she became a part of the Maheshwari family had filled her mind. She mumbled something in her semi-conscious state. She could faintly hear a nurse shouting for the doctor and held her head to stop the throbbing.

"Ahh!"

"MISHTI !!" she recognized badi maa's voice from a distance.

Mishti fluttered her eyes open. On her right stood her badi maa and bade papa, Shaurya and Varsha stood near her legs while the doctor was on her left.

"Miss Mishti?" the doctor smiled at her, "How are you feeling?"

Mishti removed the oxygen mask from her face and nodded hesitantly. Badi maa, with all the love she held within, caressed her head in anticipation, "Gudiya rani?"

A tear escaped Mishti's eye as she looked at the pale face of her badi maa and bade papa. She clutched badi maa's hand tightly.

The doctor helped Mishti sit up on the bed. Badi maa kissed her cheeks and forehead and hugged her tight.

"Aaram se, Mishti ki badi maa!" Vishambar touched her shoulder, "Aap meri beti ko sirf apne liye rakhengi kya!"

Tears rolled down Badi maa's cheeks. She kept on caressing Mishti's face, kissing her hands, to convince herself that her dear daughter is alive and in front of her. With weak hands, Mishti wiped badi maa's tears and shook her head.

"Badi maa?" Mishti's voice was like a forlorn melody for the four people standing there, "Roiye mat, please?"

Bade papa came forward and kissed her forehead with all the love he could muster.

"Mr. and Mrs Maheshwari," Dr. Patel intervened, "I understand your emotions, but kya mein kuch tests kar loon?"

"Mein..." Mishti whispered, glancing at Badi maa, bade papa and at Varsha and Shaurya, "mein yaha... kaise aayi?"

The four looked at each other in worry.

"Mishti beta, aap..." Bade papa glanced at the doctor, "aapko yaad nahi?" he whispered.

Dr. Patel eyed them to not speak further. Mishti creased her brows and asked again.

"Bade papa," Mishti touched his hand, "bataiye na? Mein yaha... kab... kaise?"

"Relax Miss Mishti." Dr. Patel smiled. "Can I ask a few questions?"

Mishti nodded.

"What date is it today?"

Mishti was tongue-tied.

"Okay no problem," the doctor replied. "What month?"

Badi maa, bade papa, Shaurya and Varsha stared at her anticipatingly.

"Uh, May... May?" she glanced at her badi maa who heaved a sigh of relief. Bade papa nodded with a smile and caressed her hair. Shaurya and Varsha's face lit up in happiness.

"Mishti," Dr. Patel asked casually, "which year?"

Mishti smiled. "Doctor, yeh kaisa sawaal hai?" she shrugged, "It's 2018."