ℂℍ𝔸ℙ𝕋𝔼ℝ 𝟚𝟡

Shock was the first thing to silence the gym.

Mamoru glanced at Sugawara, who was the official setter of Karasuno. It must have been a disappointing surprise.

His face fell.

"What's this about?" Tanaka growled, head tilted at an uncomfortable angle. "Sounds like they're not interested in Karasuno. They just want to assess Kageyama." He got into Takeda's face, that gangster-like expression on his face. "Are they underestimating us?"

"Well, that's not quite how it is," Takeda laughed nervously, holding up a hand.

"Sounds good," Sugawara interrupted. Mamoru scrutinized his expression, picking the disappointment and acceptance off the setter's face. Even though he was disappointed, he still had a good head on his shoulders, though Aoba Johsai shouldn't have set a condition like that. "We don't get chances like this often."

"You're going to agree to that, Suga-san?!" Tanaka dropped in his mouth in surprise and anger. "You're the official setter of Karasuno!"

"I..." He looked down, scraping together what he was going to say. Sugawara looked up with a determined look. "I want to see how effective Kageyama and Hinata's attack is against a top four team."

And then he looked at Mamoru, who was still standing by Kageyama. The boy gave him a gentle smile. "And I think we could probably slip Mamoru in as our special all-rounder when it comes down to it."

Special?

Don't make me laugh.

Mamoru looked away, unsure how to feel. Sugawara chuckled softly and exchanged a nod with Daichi.

"Sensei, may we see the details," Daichi asked.

"Sure. Um...the schedule is rather sudden, but it's set for Tuesday next week," Takeda informed them. Mamoru stopped looking at the ground and gave the teacher his full attention. "It will be after classes, so there's only time for one game. We'll rent a bus after school. Make sure you're not late."

The team let out a loud shout of understanding before breaking away to put away the equipment.

──── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ────

"Oh, Mamoru." The white-haired boy stopped in his tracks and turned around to face Sugawara. "You walk this way too? I never see you."

"I run home most of the time," Mamoru explained. "For fun."

"Oh, a runner," Sugawara exclaimed, eyes bright. He walked a little forward, gesturing for them to continue. "No wonder you're so fast."

"Thank you," Mamoru said, dipping his head. He felt the back of his neck burn, though he wasn't sure if it was because it was out of embarrassment or because the sun was facing his back. He wanted to say something as well, but he didn't really know the upperclassman.

"Sugawara-san!" Both stopped and turned around again. Kageyama came to a stop, shoulders up and down from being out of breath. "Hello, Mamoru," he breathed, noticing him as well.

Kageyama straightened up, a resolute look on his face. He had qualms about speaking to Sugawara with Mamoru there, but he felt comfortable with him. "I have to play setter by default this time, but from now on, I will earn my place."

"Huh?"

"Huh?"

"Oh, I thought you weren't concerned about me at all," Sugawara chuckled weakly, a hand going behind his head. "I wasn't expecting that."