Picking Up a Package

Thomas was fresh out of the works, and fully prepared to go to his forever home. He didn't really know anything about where he was going, other than the place was called Sodor.

   The little tank engine hummed. "I wonder what my new home will be like..oooh, I can't wait to see it!"

"Slow down there, Thomas." said his driver, "We can't get going yet, there's something we must pick up first, the owner of the railway said it was very important."

   Thomas was puzzled. He wasn't even on the railway yet and he was already assigned his first job! The little seafoam green engine peeped excitedly, causing his driver and fireman to chuckle.

"Do you know what we're picking up? Can we go get it now? Where is it?" he peeped.

"Slow down Thomas..! No, we don't know what we're picking up. Yes, we can get it now. We are picking it up at a station a few miles from here. All we were told is to look for the color purple."

"Well what are we waiting for! Let's go!"

   The tank engine jerked forward, and was on his way to the station. He was confused by the color that his driver said to look out for. Purple. Trucks weren't purple, coaches weren't purple. Grapes are purple though..but grapes can't be THAT important. He just hummed to himself, looking at the scenery around him as he made his way to the station.

"Purple..purple..purple.." Thomas muttered as he approached the station. His driver and fireman looked too, equally as confused by the controller's orders.

"Look, over there." his fireman pointed out.

   Thomas looked to where he was pointing. There, pacing back and forth on the platform, was a small human clad in black leggings and a purple hoodie. A purple hoodie? There was no way that was what he needed to pick up, right?

"Uhm..excuse me?" called out the little tank engine. "Are you the package we need to pick up?"

   They stopped pacing, and looked at Thomas. Thomas noticed that they had very pretty greyish-blue eyes.

"..I think so..? Is your name Thomas..?" they asked. "I was told to wait here for an engine named Thomas.."

"That's me!" Thomas chirped. "Hop onboard then! We'll head to our home together!"

   They smiled, and hopped on Thomas' running board, which surprised the tank engine.

"Are you sure it's safe for you to be there? You could fly right off!" he said.

"I'll be fine, I've always traveled like this. Besides, I feel more comfortable here than in a cab." they quietly said, leaning against his wheel well. 

   Thomas said nothing. If they knew they'd be fine, then who was he to argue against it? He blew his whistle and puffed along toward home. After about ten minutes, he gasped quietly, catching the human's attention.

"Is something wrong?" they asked.

"I never asked for your name! I feel so silly! So..uh, what's your name?"

"..My name is Madison, but most people just call me Maddy."