Chapter 21 Choices: The Hinges To Destiny Pt. 2

For a moment, it didn't seem like a funeral

It was bright and warm outside. The grass was a bed of vibrant green with pretty flowers that had sprouted from it. Butterflies were seen flying around the open area while the sounds of birds chirping served as the background noise of the eulogies.

This was the complete opposite of the late Grayson and Miranda Gilbert's funeral.

Havana bent down and gently plucked a red rose from the ground. She held throughout the ceremony, even when it was her turn to talk about her friend who had passed away two days ago, Janet Lee. However, none had the most touching and heartbreaking eulogy other than Elena Gilbert for her deceased biological father. Havana always thought their relationship was a rocky one, and it was, however in a turn of events, the seemingly calculating John Gilbert exchanged his life for Elena to wake up after the ritual because he loved her all along. Havana squeezed her little cousins' hands before she finally let go of the red-colored rose that landed on the coffin of Janet Lee.

From the corner of her eye, she saw a woman dressed in black crying in the distance. Havana stayed quiet and did not approach her until everybody left the cemetery.

The weeping woman saw Havana walking towards her. Unlike the past couple of days, the distraught woman in tears did not run or hide. 

"Aunt Jenna," Havana called to her aunt who had been declared as missing since the ritual. "I'm glad you're here." They embraced in other in a long hug.

"I'm sorry I have been there for you guys. I just couldn't bear with it anymore." She sniffled holding on to her niece before letting go.

Unfortunately for her, the feeling of the burden for the death of her best friend killed her on the inside. These feelings of grief and loss were increasingly heightened on the account of being a newly-turned vampire.

"It's okay Aunt Jenna. We all loved her too."

"She is-was an amazing person you know. She had my back throughout everything from our uni days to this big mess. She gave up everything for me." Jenna started hiccuping. She brought more tissue to her face dapping her excessively flowing tears from her sunken eyes.

"Please don't feel guilty for what happened Aunt Jenna. It was not your fault." Havana grabbed a hold of her relative's free hand and firmly squeezed it. "This feels like hell. We're all going through it. But it's going to get better, not today, not tomorrow, or even a week from now. But one day, we'll wake up and realize that the pain of it all is less than what we have felt the day before. And we will continue to feel that until this miserable feeling is completely gone." Jenna nods in silence through her eyes still fell to the floor. She wanted to believe Havana but the stabbing sensation in her heart was greater than any words of encouragement.