Chapter 2: The Bitch Named Katherine

One year later

Today seemed to start out great for Havana

Today seemed to start out great for Havana. She woke up at the crack of dawn, went for a jog around the neighborhood, ate a healthy breakfast at the house she shared with her two cousins and aunt, showered, and got ready for work. It was her daily routine. Mediocre but fulfilling. Havana Sommers was now settled and called this small town her home.

The sun had decided to bless the town with beautiful weather today. It was hot but not humid. It was also the weekend which made today better; children gathered in the park, adults enjoyed picnics outdoors while teenagers like Elena and Jeremy were out and about enjoying the company of their peers. Havana however, had decided to go to work. She didn't have to go through the adult joys of mortgage payments but she still needed to earn a living.

At last, she had arrived. To where exactly? The Mystic Grill of course, where she worked as a full-time bartender. It didn't take long for Havana to sign up for the job seeing that she would be doing two of the many things she loved; making alcohol and getting drunk with it (she didn't mind doing it in front of the boss seeing as she was also the general manager of the grill).

The twenty-six-year-old didn't only gain a fun job but new friends as well. It didn't mind her one bit that most of her friends were high schoolers. In her mind, she was still a 17-year-old who was still figuring out life, which was true by the way. They were also Elena and Jeremy's friends. There was Bonnie Bennet, a witch from a powerful witch family; she would do anything to protect her friends, even if that meant hurting herself. Caroline Forbes, a preppy newborn vampire who resembled a barbie, funny, and a loyal one at that. Matt Donovan; a human who was her cousin's ex (yikes), though he may be athletic and popular, Matt was down to earth and a kind person (probably the kindest person she has ever met). Then you have the opposite, cocky but tolerable Tyler Lockwood who apparently has an untriggered wolf gene thanks to the paternal side of the family. He was the one that got on Havana's nerves the most. But whenever she needed weed or needed to let loose in a wild party, he was her go-to person. And finally, you have the Salvatore brothers. The oldest vampires in town. The eldest one was the infamous mean and egotistical Damon Salvatore who surprisingly became Havana's best friend. His younger brother, Stefan, who was dating Elena was the total opposite of his brother. Havana seemed wary of him at first but then when he (and his brother) finally proved to Havana that they weren't going to murder her family, everything was good.  Last but certainly not the least was Alaric Saltzman, the history teacher/vampire hunter who was also thrust into the supernatural world whether he liked it or not, he became Havana's other best friend.

The trio's (Havana, Damon, and Alaric) close friendship was unexpected. It was no secret that Damon loved alcohol, sometimes even more than blood. So every day, he would go to the Mystic Grill where Havana worked and ordered her every single one of her delicious new inventions. Their small talk and their shots of bourbon turned into a daily ritual thus starting their close ties. Alaric was the last one to join their afternoon drinking sessions when he started swinging by the grill and became a regular customer of Havana's.